Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport self-assigned IP shows yellow

HI I have a problem with the network because it shows my Airport self-assigned IP with a yellow button and not green like the Ethernet. I am having problems trying to connect my iPad by airport to get mail and onto the internet, my iPad is showing my iPad in the Wi-Fi networks so am I right that it looks like it's the computer that is at fault and if so any idear what to do? I have changed things on the iPad nothing works I also have tried some of the things that are mentioned in other messages but nothing helps, and this happened out of the blue, I have reset the iPad and that did not help.
Ta

2.93GHz Intel Core i7, Mac OS X (10.6.5), Memory 8GB

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 12:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 12:37 PM

The "yellow" ball or dot usually means you do not have an Internet connection, either by Wifi or Ethernet.

You mentioned something about the "computer in error". Are you trying to hook-up the iPad to the Internet thru your computer? You do know the iPad usually talks wireless to your router, right? Or are you trying to share the Airport/Internet on the computer with your iPad? DId you go into Systems Preferences/Sharing and set Internet Sharing?
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2010 12:37 PM in response to George Hilton

The "yellow" ball or dot usually means you do not have an Internet connection, either by Wifi or Ethernet.

You mentioned something about the "computer in error". Are you trying to hook-up the iPad to the Internet thru your computer? You do know the iPad usually talks wireless to your router, right? Or are you trying to share the Airport/Internet on the computer with your iPad? DId you go into Systems Preferences/Sharing and set Internet Sharing?

Dec 29, 2010 12:43 PM in response to Russa

Sorry Russa
I have just seen in the network under Status this "George Hilton"s iPad has the self-assigned IP address 169.254.192.87 and will not be able to connect to the Internet." so I think there is some ting wrong? Also my iPad can see my computers network because it asks me to select it in the network but then it comes up with check account settings in mail, but then when I try to use Safari on the iPad nothing happens.
Ta

Airport self-assigned IP shows yellow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.