Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple 30" inch Display Power off (can't turn it on)

I posted this on another thread but decided to start my own topic since it may not be related to the other problem.

I can't turn on my 30" display. The power adapter is cold which tells me that it turned off some time during the night. I connected a spare monitor to my MacPro and was able to open sys prefs to try and tinker with display settings. Oddly, it detects the 30" HD display even though it's not on. I'm confused.

trouble shooting:
I tried pressing the ON/OFF button on the side of display - NG
I unplugged the display and tried a different power outlet - NG
I disconnected the display from my geffen DVI switcher and plugged it into the direct port on the back of the MacPro then restart - NG

Would anyone suggest that I should go out and purchase a new Cinema HD Display 150W Power adapter?

TIA

MacPro 2x3GHz Quad-Core 16GB Ram ATIRadionX1900 4X750HD Raid065-0288card, Mac OS X (10.5.1), ipod 80g video/ G5 dual 2.5 GHz Power PC/

Posted on Dec 30, 2010 1:44 PM

8 replies

Jan 8, 2011 6:20 AM in response to Karen K

I had the same problem with my 30" ACD connected to my 15" MBP. After a lot of fiddling (and buying a new power supply) I discovered that if I unplug the USB and FireWire connectors leading from the ACD to the MBP (but leave the display port connector attached) then the ACD wakes up. If I wait a few minutes I can then reattach the USB and FireWire connectors and everything is fine until the next time I power down / up and I have to repeat the cycle. This is consistent behaviour.

I hope this helps.

Feb 8, 2011 9:35 AM in response to RedHatDude

I had a similar problem with my ACD. I had to stop using the USB port all together. The monitor would shut off with no provocation. Apple support was really unhelpful. I called three times while it was under warranty. They had me do the usual computer fixes like rebooting PRAM.

Turns out it was Power Adapter. Picked up a new one from http://www.sunsetmac.com/apple-power-adapter-apple-cinema-displays-c-65_128/appl e-30-cinema-display-power-adapter-150w-a1098-661-3356-new-p-183.

The guy there told me they sell 30 a week. Apparently they burn out like light bulbs. If you leave your monitor on all the time the adapter will need to be replaced occasionally.

Apple 30" inch Display Power off (can't turn it on)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.