Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RaLink wireless usb adaptor configure

Hello:

I have a raLink wireless usb adaptor and when i go to run the setup for it it tells me that after installation i need to go to system preferenes and configure it. I whent into system preferences and under network nothing is listed... please HELP!!!!

Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Dec 30, 2010 5:58 PM

6 replies

Mar 2, 2011 3:22 AM in response to vz2anj

After you have installed the software (puts the Ralink Wireless Adaptor Utility into a folder in your applications folder) and rebooted the machine. Plug in the adaptor and go to System Preferences/Network. The adaptor will be listed as Ethernet Adaptor (en1) - (look in the various lists available, where it appears depends on which OS version you are running). Open settings for the adaptor and click on Apply Now (if the Apply Now is greyed out make some change in the settings: for example, add a space then delete it, this should make the Apply Now option available).

Now open the Wireless Adaptor Utility and set up the appropriate wireless network connection.

Hope this helps

Huw

Mar 27, 2011 9:49 PM in response to vz2anj

@vz2anj: I read those exact same instructions and had the same problem. But, I just got this working with my setup. Here's what happened:

1. Purchased a Medialink - Wireless N USB Adapter - 802.11n - 150Mbps - 2.4ghz - Windows 2000 / XP / Vista 64-Bit /128-Bit Windows 7 Compatible from Amazon, and it came with a CD containing drivers.

2. Installed the 10.6 driver onto my iMac (running Snow Leopard).

3. Nothing happened. I uninstalled the driver.

4. Found updated drivers at http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3, and downloaded and installed version V4.1.0.0.

5. After an auto restart, a Ralink icon appeared in the menubar. But still, nothing worked.

6. Read the Huwgely's post (post #5) in this thread, and decided to unplug the wireless adapter from the iMac, and replug it in.

7. Something happened! Wireless Utility appeared with a list of Access Points. And in my System Preferences --> Network, a new interface appeared as "801.11 n WLAN".

8. Turned Airport Off.

9. Selected a wireless access point in Wireless Utility, and entered the network password.

10. Voila! Working wireless N usb adapter with Ralink driver on my Mac.

RaLink wireless usb adaptor configure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.