Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Proper user and group rights

Dear readers and admins

My question is about the "correct" setting of the user and group rights, so the following is possible. It relates to Server 10.3 and to 10.4.

Requirements:
Group 1 = "Regular user"
Group 2 = "Administration, Accounting"
User 1 and 2 belong to Group 1, users 3 and 4 belong to Group 2.

User 1 & 2 must have read/write access to files and folders in Group 1, but may not have access to files and folders of Group 2.
User 1 & 2 must be in a position of creation and deletion of file and directory of Group 1, as if they were their own files and directories. I.e. User 2 must be in a position to delete or change files and directories that an other user of Group 1 has created.

User 3 & 4 must have read and write access to files and directories of Group 1 & 2. They must be able to creating and changing such files and directories, as if they were their own files and directories. I.e. User 3 & 4 must be able to create and change files and directories which belong to user 1 & 2.

As I understand it, this can be achieved with ACL's under Server 10.4 and newer as well as with complex user- and group settings under 10.3.

Am I right there?
How does such a structure look like in 10.3?
What would such a structure look like with ACL's?
I unfortunately don't have a server 10.3 running and my 10.6 server is down due to technical problems.

Thank you in advance for your help.
All a happy new year.
Regards
Thomas Thaler

Intel Mac Mini 2.53GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 31, 2010 2:45 AM

There are no replies.

Proper user and group rights

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.