Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update iOS on Original iPhone

I have an un-activated Original iPhone that was replaced by my 3GS. I'd like to update the old model to iOS 3.1.3 (which, IIRC, was the last version to work on the Original iPhone) before I pass it on to someone else.

Can I just hook it up to iTunes and click on Restore to Default? I plan on using my G4 iMac running Tiger and iTunes 9 so as to not mess up the settings on my main iMac.

Active: iMac (G5, G4), PB G4, iPad, iPhone, iPod, MP2100 Retired: iMac G3, A2c, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Mac OS 10.4.11, Mac OS 9.2.2, iOS 4.0/3.2, Newton OS 2.1

Posted on Dec 31, 2010 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2010 3:44 PM

You can only restore and/or update if you have the SIM card that was active still in the iphone or an active SIM in the iphone.
6 replies

Dec 31, 2010 7:40 PM in response to romad

What is confusing you?

You can use the iphone as an ipod:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3406

You CANNOT update or restore without the SIM in the iphone that was previously active or an active SIM.

From the article above:

"To continue using your original iPhone without active cellular service, leave the inactive SIM card in place. You will be able to use the iPhone as you would an iPod touch (Wi-Fi only, no cellular service) as long as you keep the SIM with which it was last used, even if you update or restore the operating system of the original iPhone."

Feb 21, 2011 4:27 PM in response to roaminggnome

I am having trouble with this issue, too. I have an original iPhone that my son has been using as an iPod Touch. It is currently running Version 3.0 so I wanted to try and update it to 3.1.3. I never had a sim card in it. I did, however, find my original SIM for that phone. I put that in and I got the "connect to iTunes" screen. The phone showed me my phone number and it wanted me to agree to terms of use, etc. Then at the end, it wanted me to add a data plan for $20??? There was no other option. So I am totally confused now. What am I missing?

Message was edited by: Lynda Rice

Update iOS on Original iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.