Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Dvorak keyboard doesn't work

I set my setting as dvorak but it doesn't work, the keyboard is still normal.

MacBook Pro 15 inch (bought in 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Dec 31, 2010 2:46 PM

12 replies

Jan 10, 2011 3:58 AM in response to shroudlupe

I bought an Apple Bluetooth keyboard and it worked fine for typing using Dvorak. Then today I connected it again and it kept typing in QWERTY, even though the "hardware keyboard" setting was "English--Dvorak". I figured out that I had been typing (well, "handwriting") in Chinese and the keyboard won't work in Dvorak unless you last used English as your on-screen "software" keyboard.

Solution:
Before turning on Bluetooth, make sure your software keyboard is set to English. (First tap any entry field and make the on-screen keyboard appear. Then, tap the little "globe" icon until the keyboard is English. Then turn on Bluetooth and it should be fine.)

Dec 4, 2011 12:57 PM in response to shroudlupe

you know.. the iphone is almost perfect in every way - but dear apple engineers - after waiting for five iphone iOS revisions - when, o when will we finally get the base functionality that we had 20 years ago..!?!? just a plain simple onscreen dvorak software keyboard layout.. its not a software limitation, as you can clearly add any arrangement of keys and call it a keyboard layout - thus, a glaring deficiency. :-(

Dec 10, 2011 6:33 PM in response to shroudlupe

Figuring that it at least won't hurt, I submitted the following feedback at the link below.

Maybe if lots of people ask for this feature, there'll be more chance they'll consider it.

Here was my request:

---------------

Hi,

I own both an ipad 2 and iPad 1. Both allow for a hardware keyboard layout of Dvorak, but iOS 5 does not have a software keyboard layout in Dvorak.

The Dvorak layout is a high efficiency keyboard layout that places the most commonly used English vowels and consonants under the touch-typist's home keys and is designed to speed up typing. This is as opposed to the Qwerty layout which was created to slow down the typist so that manual typewriters would not jam (and how long has it been since you've used a manual typewriter!!:)

I've been using Dvorak for 11 years, so it's really difficult to change back to the inefficient Qwerty layout.

Could I please ask you to consider adding a software Dvorak keyboard layout to the iPad? It would be a wonderful addition.

Thank you for considering my request,

Mar 18, 2012 8:35 PM in response to point618

The thing is, I don't know how anyone would touch type on an iPad using the software keyboard anyway - there's no home line guides - and you can't rest your fingers there or all of those characters will be input, right?

To use that people are looking at their hands or hand and doing hunt and peck.

The only solution for me that makes any sense are the hardware keyboard-and-stand-or-case solutions.

The perfect bluetooth keyboard in a case for iPad 2, for me anyway is:

iHome Bluetooth keyboard case for iPad 2

Model: IH-IP2100

Choosing DVORAK in the Settings app is awkward because of where they put it - but it works!

Under 'Add a Hardware Keyboard' go all the way to the bottom, and between Belgian and Colemak, you'll see...

Dvorak

What a relief - and this is totally satisfying. Sweet little compact keyboard - Just what I wanted.

One little note is that on the iHome keyboard the right-shift key is in a spot that I missed a few times in the beginning, (hitting the up arrow instead), but after about 5 minutes of typing I seem to have worked that out of my hands.

Enjoy touch typing in Dvorak on your iHome Bluetooth Keyboard Case!

The Dvorak keyboard doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.