Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Preferences / Sound / Preferences do not stay

The option to use the external speakers does not stick. I need to reset it every time I boot. Very frustrating. Any help is appreciated. Thank YOU.
Happy New Year. Ross

Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 Quad Core Intel Xeon, Mac OS X (10.6.5), No Airport Card Internet hard wired

Posted on Jan 1, 2011 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2011 11:36 AM

I would suggest deleting the preference list file that controls that, but I can't find it.

If you open both your Library/Preferences and the main /Library/Preferences and put them in List view sorted by date modified. Then, go into system prefs and change the output. You should see a preference file pop to the top. The com.apple.systempreferences.plist will be there, but it doesn't contain the sound settings. It just gets updated when you change preference panes.

There is a com.apple.systemsound.plist, but I didn't see the sound output in it.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2011 11:36 AM in response to RossMilstein

I would suggest deleting the preference list file that controls that, but I can't find it.

If you open both your Library/Preferences and the main /Library/Preferences and put them in List view sorted by date modified. Then, go into system prefs and change the output. You should see a preference file pop to the top. The com.apple.systempreferences.plist will be there, but it doesn't contain the sound settings. It just gets updated when you change preference panes.

There is a com.apple.systemsound.plist, but I didn't see the sound output in it.

Jan 1, 2011 12:04 PM in response to RossMilstein

This fixed it on my Mac Pro.

Delete these three files:
/Library/Preferences/com.apple.soundpref.plist
/Library/Preferences/Audio/com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist
/Library/Preferences/Audio/com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist

Reselect whatever sound device you want as your default in the Sound Preference Pane.

Restart the computer.

Jan 1, 2011 9:12 PM in response to Malcolm Rayfield

Getting there thank you.
I was able to get rid of the two preference files in the audio folder.
The result is that the volume no longer needs to be reset after each boot, so I definitely thank you for that. I could not find
/Library/Preferences/com.apple.soundpref.plist
and my LINE OUT setting doesn't stick.
Could it be called something else or live somewhere else?
Best for a happy new year.
:Ross

System Preferences / Sound / Preferences do not stay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.