Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport utility update

I just did an Airport utility update (5.5.2) and now it tells me that I have no airport card installed.

PowerPC G5, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 1, 2011 4:34 PM

7 replies

Jan 5, 2011 1:22 PM in response to Alithian

Alithian wrote:
I just did an Airport utility update (5.5.2) and now it tells me that I have no airport card installed.

Welcome to Apple's discussion groups.

Is that the only update you applied then? AirPort Utility and the Wi-Fi driver on your Mac are separate pieces of software with different purposes. I wouldn't expect there to be much interaction between them, at least not in the way you imply.

What is the exact error message you're seeing? If you launch System Profiler (Apple menu -> About This Mac -> More Info), then select "AirPort" in the Network grouping, do you see the AirPort card under "Interfaces" and "en1"?

Jan 5, 2011 10:42 PM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

sorry if there was some confusion. I do actually mean the airport not being able to find my AirPort card in the mac that is using it. Which is am currently using as I type. The macbook pro is about 12 hours old and had me update some things earlier when i tried to access the airport utility.

This what i get when I try to access it.

"Airport Utility was unable to find any AirPort wireless devices. Make sure the AirPort wireless device you want to set up is plugged in and in range of your computer, and then click rescan to try again."

Jan 6, 2011 8:00 AM in response to nudavinci64

nudavinci64 wrote:
I do actually mean the airport not being able to find my AirPort card in the mac that is using it.

That's not what the message below means.

"Airport Utility was unable to find any AirPort wireless devices. Make sure the AirPort wireless device you want to set up is plugged in and in range of your computer, and then click rescan to try again."

The message is referring to Apple's AirPort base stations. The clue would have been the phrase "in range of your computer". Try connecting your Mac to your AirPort base station with an Ethernet cable to see if that allows AirPort Utility to connect to it.

Jan 7, 2011 5:14 AM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

William Boyd, Jr. wrote:

Is that the only update you applied then? AirPort Utility and the Wi-Fi driver on your Mac are separate pieces of software with different purposes. I wouldn't expect there to be much interaction between them, at least not in the way you imply.

What is the exact error message you're seeing? If you launch System Profiler (Apple menu -> About This Mac -> More Info), then select "AirPort" in the Network grouping, do you see the AirPort card under "Interfaces" and "en1"?

Thanks for your reply.

I also applied updates for Safari 5.0.3, QT 7.6.9 and iTunes 10.1.1.

Under the airport icon on the menu bar it says 'no airport card installed' and when I select 'Airport' in System profiler it just says 'no information found'-- no software versions, no interfaces.

Jan 7, 2011 8:09 AM in response to Alithian

Alithian wrote:
Under the airport icon on the menu bar it says 'no airport card installed' and when I select 'Airport' in System profiler it just says 'no information found'-- no software versions, no interfaces.

In your case you definitely seem to have a problem with your Mac's AirPort hardware, although I doubt it had anything to do with the AirPort Utility update. I'd guess it's more likely a hardware failure of some sort. You might try pulling the AirPort card out and pushing it back in to reseat it. Depending on which G5 Mac you have, this may be easy or more difficult. I'd also run the diagnostics that came with your Mac. If the diagnostics came on a separate disc, run them by holding down the "C" key while booting with that disc in the drive. If you only have one "system restore" disc, hold down the "D" key while booting with that disc in the drive.

Airport utility update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.