Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All YAHOO Emails Coming in as READ

Please HELP! I am having this problem for YAHOO- I wake up every morning to 30 new emails, and don't know it because they are all marked as read, and no notifications come through... how can this be fixed? I have only had the iPhone 4 for less than a week and I'm getting upset that I switched.

Iphone4, Other OS, laptop/phone/ipod/desktop

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 7:05 AM

10 replies

Jan 2, 2011 7:15 AM in response to missab

There is no setting with the iPhone's Mail app to automatically mark received messages as read. If you used the Yahoo account preset to create the account, the account was created as an IMAP account. The account's Inbox mailbox with an IMAP account is kept synchronized with the server including read/unread status. All server stored mailboxes with an IMAP account are kept synchronized with the server with an email client used to access the account.

Jan 7, 2011 5:57 AM in response to missab

I too am having this issue for the past two days only. Have had my Yahoo account for years. I also have an iPhone 4 and it's set to Push, however the emails are coming in as UNREAD on there. Only on my iMac is it coming in as read. I just booked a hotel reservation and was watching the screen as the confirmation email came in and it was READ already. Checked my iPhone, still UNREAD...strange. Any ideas appreciated. 🙂

Jan 7, 2011 6:05 AM in response to d2j2flanders

If you have Push access for received messages enabled with your Yahoo account, this means you used the Yahoo account preset when creating the account with the iPhone's Mail app.

If so, Yahoo does not support accessing a Yahoo account as an IMAP account with an email client on your computer. This means you are accessing the account as an IMAP account with the iPhone's Mail app and as a POP account with the email client used on your computer for accessing the account. Accessing an account as an IMAP account with one email client and as a POP account with another email client can lead to problems. What Yahoo does not support accessing the account as an IMAP account with an email client on your computer as well is beyond me.

Jan 7, 2011 7:11 AM in response to Allan Sampson

Well, should have checked the obvious first...changed my Yahoo password and all is back to normal. Scary though 😟

Thank you for the info Allan. Although I didn't follow it completely I dug around in my phone and yahoo settings for mail and couldn't find anything that would be throwing it off all of a sudden. My hubby is getting a new MBP soon and will keep this info for him. Take care 🙂

Feb 10, 2011 8:14 PM in response to Allan Sampson

So should you not push your emails...I cant keep up with my messages and miss lots of replies because they are all read .... I have deleted it and reset it again and they are still reading them before I do... even when away from the house and not using my laptop???? My gmail account doesnt do that...they stay unread until I read them ....please suggest a solutions you think will work...thanks so much

All YAHOO Emails Coming in as READ

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.