Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Let's make iCall work with Exchange 2003!!!

Hi, on my iPad, I'm able to watch both my private agenda and the agenda of my workspace (coming from an Outlook Exchange 2003 server). With my new Macbook Air this is not possible, wich is unbelievable because this laptop is much more advanced and capable of much more.

But when it works on an iPad, there must be some work around to make it possible on the Macbook Air too, isn't it? Who can help me out???!!!

macbook air 13 inch, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 11:15 AM

13 replies

Jan 2, 2011 3:16 PM in response to HenkRitmeester

Actually, Mac OS syncs rather nicely with Exchange servers. I have access to my companies Exchange email in mail.app, the complete address list in address book, and my outlook calendar syncs with iCal. You need to begin in mail.app and add your Exchange information as a new email account. You will then be able to sync you calendars and contacts side by side with your personal information, and any other synced calendars (Yahoo, MobileMe, Google, etc.).

Jan 2, 2011 3:54 PM in response to HenkRitmeester

I also unable to connect with my company's Outlook Exchange 2003 server from Apple Mail on my Macbook Air and on my Imac. I believe Apple Mail is not compatible with Exchange 2003 server. As I understand it, Mail needs Exchange server 2007 or later to connect. My Ipad and Iphone connect fine with Exchange sever 2003, but they are using Microsoft Active Sync.

Jul 29, 2011 6:36 PM in response to davemcle

VIttoGE wrote:

I resume an old post.

Iwas anxious to see teh new Lion iCal but i still have not found a way to make it working with Exchange.

It's strange considering that iPad working well on the same task !

davemcle wrote:

I am having the same problem and hope there is someone with some guidance. I can sync my Exchange 2003 calendar with my iPhone, but can't get it onto my Powerbook or directly onto the Powerbook from the Exchange server. What gives, Apple?

Microsoft started using Exchange Web Services protcol beginning with Exchange 2007. This is what OSX's Mail uses and why it won't work directly with Exchange 2003.

Microsoft has already ended mainstream support for Exchange 2003. So why would Apple add support for a version of software that the manufacturer doesn't support anymore? Since most companies consider Exchange a mission critial server, any company still using Exchange 2003 has seriously bigger problems on their hands and that is something that Apple can't really help them with.

Jul 30, 2011 10:35 AM in response to VittoGE

VittoGE wrote:

Asatoran wrote:

Microsoft started using Exchange Web Services protcol beginning with Exchange 2007. This is what OSX's Mail uses and why it won't work directly with Exchange 2003.

Microsoft has already ended mainstream support for Exchange 2003. So why would Apple add support for a version of software that the manufacturer doesn't support anymore? Since most companies consider Exchange a mission critial server, any company still using Exchange 2003 has seriously bigger problems on their hands and that is something that Apple can't really help them with.

i understand what Asatoran wrote, but i still don't understand why iPhone and iPad can sync with Exchange 2003 meanwhile the same sync cannot be done via iCal and Mail...

Apparently you don't understand. Microsoft changed the connection protocol in later versions of Exchange. Microsoft even came out with a special version of Entourage 2008 to work with EWS. EWS was created in part to better handle non-mobile clients accessing the Exchange server from outside the LAN. Basically EWS was to handle Mac and PC users because the previous protocol (ActiveSync) was for Windows Mobile phones and such.

There is no technical reason why Apple couldn't add connection to Exchange 2003. But to do so would be a significant expense since Mail would have to be rewritten. Again, Microsoft no longer supports Exchange 2003, so why would Apple spend the money to add support for a product that is no longer produced and not supported even by the manufacturer?

If your company absolutely insists on running an obsolete product, you can look at DavMail. It is buggy and I've been told there are still problems with the calendar sync. But it may keep your life support going for a while longer. I am in no way endorsing DavMail, as one can imply from my previous statements. Caveat emptor.

Sep 8, 2011 3:58 AM in response to HenkRitmeester

I've managed to get Mail 5 working with Exchange 2003 peachy without the use of DavMail (which is what I was using with Snow Leopard). All I did was simply copy the settings from my iPhone note: Your company should have a 'webmail server' for this to work. I selected 'Exchange IMAP' settings and copied everything including outgoing server as 'webmail.companydomain.co.uk' made sure SSL was unchecked (as my company doesn't use it...weird) And EVERYTHING, folders etc all played super nice with Mail 5.

My only issue is that when I tried this with iCal 5, it fell over.Was hoping someone could help in this case. Any takers?

Oct 24, 2011 3:10 AM in response to No_Dominion

up until friday my exchange 2003 and apple mail was working fine. The server got rebooted and my mail stopped receiving.

Now I have deleted my account and trying to get it back is a nightmare. I have tried tried making an account with exchange imap and leaving SSL unchecked but it doesn't work now. My iphone works annoyingly so its something on my mac, wondering if there is a library file that needs to be deleted?

Oct 24, 2011 2:08 PM in response to DanDeyong

DanDeyong wrote:

up until friday my exchange 2003 and apple mail was working fine. The server got rebooted and my mail stopped receiving.

Now I have deleted my account and trying to get it back is a nightmare. I have tried tried making an account with exchange imap and leaving SSL unchecked but it doesn't work now. My iphone works annoyingly so its something on my mac, wondering if there is a library file that needs to be deleted?

Note that this thread was for iCal and Exchange connectivity, not Mail.

Mail does not support connectivity to Exchange 2003. iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad can connect to Exchange 2003 because they use the older Activesync protocol, rather than the Exchange Web Services (EWS) protocol that is only available in Exchange 2007 and 2010.

There are products like Davmail that act as a proxy between Mail and Exchange. So if you're using Davmail or similar, then you need to use the support services of Davmail (or whatever you're using) as Exchange 2003 is an unsupported configuration for Apple Mail.

And if you do post for this issue again, best to start a new thread of your own rather than post to a months old thread.

Let's make iCall work with Exchange 2003!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.