Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail.app truly inline attachments; font inconsistencies

When I am composing an outgoing email in Mail.app from a MobileMe account (carbon copied to my MobileMe account), and I include both an audio and visual attachment, in the draft/composition window I see that those items appear inline with the text I am composing. For example, I wrote a sentence and ended it with (). I placed the cursor within the parentheses, and then attached an audio AAC MP4 file. At that point, the miniature imbedded playback icon showed properly within parentheses so that it all fit on one line. Similarly, I was composing a sentence elsewhere in that outgoing email, and I inserted a JPEG picture in the middle of the sentence by dragging the picture from a Safari window into the middle of the sentence in the Mail.app window. I initially found that the picture showed inline with the rest of the text so that the picture was in the middle of the sentence. That all appeared to look fine when I was about to send out the email.

When I received the email in reply, however, routing exclusively through Apple products (including MobileMe servers since the email was carbon copied to myself), I found that newlines were inserted before and after each of those insertions. Instead of seeing (<imbedded audio link icon>) all on one line, I saw (
<imbedded audio link icon>
).

Likewise, instead of seeing the image appear in the middle of a sentence, I saw that the sentence was broken up before and after the image insertion. I'd really like a consistent appearance of a draft and the received carbon copy. I also checked my Sent folder and it looks like the line breaks are added to the saved sent item as well. In the initial draft of the document, there is the possibility of manually adding those line breaks or omitting them. Thus there should be a way to encode those two instances in different ways that lets the receiving Apple product detect the difference and decide whether the user meant to include a line break. I understand that Apple may be working within the limitation of general mail format standards here, but I believe there is certainly a way to achieve more consistency and to achieve this result of a truly inline (without added line break) attachment.

Also, a problem I experience with mixing two different fonts on one line is that when I add cursive/italics font like Kokonor Regular to a line that originally had only American Typewriter, I find that that line automatically adds additional whitespace before and after that line in the output display. That makes the one line stand out in a way that is not very elegant, and the whitespace is not actually needed to properly display those italicised characters. Instead, it's my guess that the italic fonts register a default spacing that they think they need to be displayed. But that estimated size is exaggerated.

On the iPhone, I also don't see those beautiful italic fonts properly rendered. I think those fonts (Kokonor Regular, Corsiva Hebrew, Apple Chancery) should be included on the iOS devices too, because in my opinion they are very elegant. Instead, what I see when I check mail on the iPhone is that a larger boldface font is used in place of the beautiful cursive letters that I would expect.

I hope Apple will find these suggestions helpful.

Also, when I attempted to submit this on the /support/feedback page, I was told that an error occurred and that I should try again later. Redundantly, the web address is appended to the end of the Comments field, each time I attempt to submit. That last part is also a bug, but the error message I receive is too frequent (I've seen it before) and unhelpful (I don't know what problem I am experiencing or the known cause or possible workaround).

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Jan 2, 2011 11:52 AM

There are no replies.

Mail.app truly inline attachments; font inconsistencies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.