Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to connect iPhone 4 properly to Time Capsule

I am unable to properly connect my iPhone 4 (running iOS 4.2.1) to my home network running a Time Capsule. My iPhone 4 shows the network. If I click on the network to connect, often after entering the password I am told the iPhone is unable to join the network. Sometimes, I can connect, and I get realistic values for the phone's IP address, DNS, and other items, but after a short time, I can no longer do anything that requires WiFi. The WiFi symbol still shows, and I still appear to be connected, but surfing a web page, going to Facebook, etc., just hangs.

I completely re-set the Time Capsule back to factory defaults. I've also completely wiped the iPhone clean and restored it from scratch (as well as resetting all network data, and forgetting my home network and re-adding it). None of these procedures has changed the problem behavior.

I've gone to an Apple Store and spoken with a Genius. While there seemed to be no problem with my phone, I was given a new one (great service). The problem remains.

The Time Capsule is a simultaneous Dual Band II. It runs 802.11 n only on 5 GHz, and 802.11 b/g only on 2.4 GHz. The two networks have different names [MyNet and MyNet (5 GHz)]. It runs WPA2 security. It is set for wide channels (turning this off did not help), and channels are selected automatically.

I have several Macs, an iPad (running iOS 4.2.1), an AirPort Express N, and an Apple TV (first generation), an Apple TV (second generation) that have no trouble getting on MyNet (5GHz). I also have a Blackberry Bold 9000 that has no trouble getting on MyNet (using 802.11 g).

The Time Capsule is running in bridge mode because my home internet is FiOS, and comes into the house as a MoCA cable connection without ethernet, so the FiOS router supplies the ethernet connection to the Time Capsule. The FiOS router supports WiFi, but only 802.11 b/g, so I usually turn it off and let the TIme Capsule run the WiFi. The FiOS router performs all DNS activities.

This whole setup worked flawlessly until recently. I have the Time Capsule visible through Back to My Mac everywhere I go, and all my other devices connect just fine -- as the iPhone used to do. (Could it be the recent firmware upgrade for the Time Capsule?) Everything still works flawlessly, except for the iPhone 4.

When I enable the FiOS router's independent WiFi (b/g), running WAP2 with the same password as my Time Capsule network, and have just the iPhone connect to that network, all is perfect.

I'd prefer not to have to run the FiOS WiFi network JUST for the iPhone, since I'm in a fairly dense development with LOTS of WiFi near me and want to avoid even more congestion.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The Apple Geniuses say the next step is to replace my Time Capsule, which I will do after backing up its backups, but it seems that there is a problem between iOS 4.2.1 and the new (7.5.2 Time Capsule) software. I'm guessing, since I can sometimes connect but then lose connection, that this is some kind of WAP2 problem, but all my other devices work just fine. I do not want to run a non-protected network, or a network protected with WEP or WAP, since they are older and less secure protocols.

Thanks in advance.

MBP (late 2008); MBA (original); Mac mini (late 2009) running Win 7 w/BootCamp, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Displays: Dell 30", Apple 24" LED Cinema; iPhone 3GS/32; TV; TimeCapsule 1 TB

Posted on Jan 3, 2011 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2011 11:44 AM

I have a Time Capsule dual band which I purchased and have been using before the iPhone 4 arrived on the release date. Since the iPhone 4 supports "N" on 2.4 GHz only, my dual band is set up as 802.11a/n (5GHz) and 802.11b/g/n (2.4 GHz) with my iPhone 4 connected to my 2.4 GHz "N" network, and my MBP connected to my 5 GHz "N" network. I'm using WPA2 Personal for the network encryption and I'm using an 8 character passcode.

Can you connect your iPad to either network - your 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz network? If so, the only difference with the iPad's wireless card is it doesn't require connecting to a 2.4 GHz "N" network as with the iPhone 4, so this does not lend itself to there being a problem with your Time Capsule - not unless your iPad can't connect or maintain a connection to the 2.4 GHz "N" network as well.
62 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2011 11:44 AM in response to Linda Custer

I have a Time Capsule dual band which I purchased and have been using before the iPhone 4 arrived on the release date. Since the iPhone 4 supports "N" on 2.4 GHz only, my dual band is set up as 802.11a/n (5GHz) and 802.11b/g/n (2.4 GHz) with my iPhone 4 connected to my 2.4 GHz "N" network, and my MBP connected to my 5 GHz "N" network. I'm using WPA2 Personal for the network encryption and I'm using an 8 character passcode.

Can you connect your iPad to either network - your 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz network? If so, the only difference with the iPad's wireless card is it doesn't require connecting to a 2.4 GHz "N" network as with the iPhone 4, so this does not lend itself to there being a problem with your Time Capsule - not unless your iPad can't connect or maintain a connection to the 2.4 GHz "N" network as well.

Jan 3, 2011 12:21 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Your reply is very helpful, although I don't think it solves my problem. It gives me some things to think about!

Are you running 7.5.2 firmware on your Time Capsule SDB II?

My password is 13 characters -- that's different than yours but has never posed a problem before.

I hold down the option key while setting up the bands, because I don't have any equipment that needs the A band. I've tried it allowing N only on 5 GHz (which the iPhone 4 does not support). For the 2.4 GHz band, I've tried it as b/g and as b/g/n. The problem is the same with either setting.

Your question about the iPad was a great one! I've always attached it to the 5 GHz network because it's faster. However, now as you suggest, I've tried attaching it to the 2.4 GHz network. It has the SAME PROBLEM AS THE iPhone. It connects, gives good IP address info, but almost immediately has trouble getting anything across internet. As soon as I go back to 5 GHz, it works just fine.

My Blackberry connects to the 2.4 GHz network perfectly every time, and very quickly. (That's about the only device I have anymore that can't do 802.11 n.)

So this seems to be a problem with WAP2 encryption in the new 7.5.2 firmware or with iOS 4 interacting with both b/g and b/g/n on the 2.4 MHz band with the 7.5.2 Time Capsule firmware. I suppose the problem could have been there before the 7.5.2 firmware, but I don't think it was because my iPhone never had any problems previously. I'm almost positive the problem started around the time of the firmware update. (Like you, I had the Time Capsule SDB II early, and added an iPhone 4 on the release date of the iPhone 4.)

I'll try playing with WAP2 encryption, but I'm really not interested in running the network open or WEP or WAP1.

Any other comments are warmly welcome.

Jan 3, 2011 12:32 PM in response to Linda Custer

Are you running 7.5.2 firmware on your Time Capsule SDB II?

Yes.

If the same problem with your iPad when connected to your 2.4 GHz "n" network, this may be a problem with your Time Capsule.

You certainly don't want to use WEP for your wireless network encryption, but I don't believe using WPA2 is the problem. Using WPA2 for my 2.4 GHz "n" network is not a problem with my iPhone 4 which is running the current firmware version.

Jan 3, 2011 12:37 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Thanks again.

WAP2 is no problem at all -- that's what I WANT to run. It's just WEP and WAP(1) (or nothing) that I don't want. It's good to hear that WAP2 is running OK with you on 2.4 GHz. (I don't really care if it's G or N for the iPhone.)

Good point. Perhaps I ought to take my Apple genius up on the offer of replacing the Time Capsule then. I just need to back up my backups, though, before I do the swap, and I need to find a place big enough for the more-than-1 GB I have there now.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Jan 3, 2011 12:40 PM in response to Linda Custer

Try changing channels for your 2.4GHz network. Channels 1,6 or 11 are best, but use something like WiFi Scanner app on your Mac to look for nearby networks that may be on the same channel you are currently using. When you set the channel to automatic, it selects a channel but will never change from that channel unless you manually change channels.

Jan 6, 2011 2:18 PM in response to Linda Custer

I am having exactly the same problem as Linda Custer. I have been given a new iPhone 4, it's upgraded to the latest firmware, and so is the time capsule. I can't wirelessly connect to it. The iPhone asks for the password, I type it, and then it tells me Unable to join network. I tried many different settings on the time capsule with no luck. Sometimes it connects for just a brief period of time and then it disconnects.
Every other wireless device I have works just fine.

Any other ideas? It's really frustrating 😟

Jan 6, 2011 7:07 PM in response to Linda Custer

Hi Linda,

I normally "hang-out" in the AirPort and Time Capsule forum area, but was offered an invite to look into your issue.

I currently do not have a Time Capsule, but do have a latest generation AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBSn) running 7.5.2 and both an iPhone 4 & iPod Touch running 4.2.1. Both of my AEBSns are configured as Bridges and are connected back to the same upstream Cisco wired Internet router.

At present, neither of my iDevices are having any similar issues with either of my AEBSns. Both have good connections that are remarkably steady.

What I like to do is at least share my AEBSn's settings with you to see if your willing to use the same (for troubleshooting purposes) to (hopefully) resolve your iPhone/iPad connectivity problems.

First, here are some of the things I do NOT have my AEBSn configured for:
o Closed network
o 802.11a
o MobileMe
o IPv6
o non-Automatic Radio Channel
o Access Control
o Printer sharing
o PPPoE

Ok, let's compare some of my settings on the various tabs within the AirPort Utility. Note: I will be working in the Utility's Manual Setup mode, i.e., AirPort Utility > Select the Base Station > Manual Setup.

Time Capsule > Base Station
o Allow setup over the Internet using Bonjour (unchecked)

Time Capsule > Wireless
o Wireless Mode: Create a wireless network
o Allow this network to be extended (unchecked)
o Radio Mode: 802.11n only (5 GHz) - 802.11b/g/n
o Radio Channel Selection: Automatic
o Wireless Security: WPA/WPA2 Personal

Time Capsule > Wireless > Wireless Network Options
o 5 GHz Network Name: (unchecked) <both networks are using the same name>
o Multicast Rate: Low
o Transmit Power: 100%
o WPA Group Key Timeout: 60 Minutes
o Use wide channels (checked)
o Create a closed network (unchecked)

Internet > Internet Connection
o Connect Using: Ethernet
o Connection Sharing: Off (Bridge Mode)

Internet > TCP/IP
o Configure IPv4: Manually
o IP Address: 192.168.1.250 <obviously this would need to be in the same IP address range used on your local network ... but should be outside of the DHCP range provided by your FIOS router.>
o Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
o Router Address: 192.168.1.1
o DNS Server(s): I use the OpenDNS servers here: 208.67.222.222 & 207.67.220.220
o IPv6 DNS Server(s): <leave blank>

Jan 6, 2011 7:41 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks so much for your very detailed and most helpful post!

I will respond a little here, and will take what you said to heart, but it may take me several days to thoroughly test because I'm involved in a work project full out right now.

I really do very sincerely appreciate the help.

See my comments below:

First, here are some of the things I do NOT have my AEBSn configured for:
o Closed network SAME FOR ME
o 802.11a SAME FOR ME
o MobileMe I DO, BUT THIS IS EASY TO REMOVE FOR TESTING
o IPv6 MINE IS LINK-LOCAL ONLY
o non-Automatic Radio Channel SAME FOR ME -- I'M AUTOMATIC
o Access Control SAME FOR ME
o Printer sharing I DO HAVE A PRINTER, BUT AGAIN EASY TO REMOVE FOR TESTING
o PPPoE SAME FOR ME

Ok, let's compare some of my settings on the various tabs within the AirPort Utility. Note: I will be working in the Utility's Manual Setup mode, i.e., AirPort Utility > Select the Base Station > Manual Setup.

Time Capsule > Base Station
o Allow setup over the Internet using Bonjour (unchecked) SAME FOR ME

Time Capsule > Wireless
o Wireless Mode: Create a wireless network SAME FOR ME
o Allow this network to be extended (unchecked) CHECKED, BUT EASY TO UNCHECK FOR TESTING
o Radio Mode: 802.11n only (5 GHz) - 802.11b/g/n SAME FOR ME, ALSO TRIED 802.11 B/G
o Radio Channel Selection: Automatic SAME FOR ME
o Wireless Security: WPA/WPA2 Personal PREFER WPA2 ONLY, BUT TRIED BOTH

Time Capsule > Wireless > Wireless Network Options
o 5 GHz Network Name: (unchecked) <both networks are using the same name> I HAVE MY NETWORK USING A DIFFERENT NAME, CAN CHANGE FOR TESTING
o Multicast Rate: Low SAME FOR ME
o Transmit Power: 100% SAME FOR ME
o WPA Group Key Timeout: 60 Minutes (1 HOUR) SAME FOR ME
o Use wide channels (checked) SAME FOR ME
o Create a closed network (unchecked) SAME FOR ME

Internet > Internet Connection
o Connect Using: Ethernet SAME FOR ME
o Connection Sharing: Off (Bridge Mode) SAME FOR ME

Internet > TCP/IP
o Configure IPv4: Manually I USE DCHP, WHY DID YOU USE MANUAL?
MY NETWORK IS 192.168.1.X BASED, THOUGH, BY DCHP. AGAIN. I CAN CHANGE FOR TESTING, BUT I'VE HAD THIS SETUP ALWAYS, EVEN WITH AN OLD TIME CAPSULE NON SDB, AND IT'S ALWAYS WORKED FINE. I AM OF COURSE WILLING TO MODIFY FOR TESTING!!!
o IP Address: 192.168.1.250 <obviously this would need to be in the same IP address range used on your local network ... but should be outside of the DHCP range provided by your FIOS router.>
o Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 IN MY CASE THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT DHCP PROVIDES
o Router Address: 192.168.1.1 YES
o DNS Server(s): I use the OpenDNS servers here: 208.67.222.222 & 207.67.220.220 I USE WHAT FIOS PROVIDES, SINCE I HAVE HEARD THAT USING GOOGLE OR OPENDNS CAN SLOW DOWN VIDEO, BUT AGAIN, I AM WILLING TO TRY TO TEST
o IPv6 DNS Server(s): <leave blank> SAME AS ME -- ALTHOUGH IN MY CONFIGURATION THIS OPTION DOESN'T EVEN SHOW UP

As soon as I have a chance, I will try to make the changes above one at a time and see what happens. My instincts are that none of these things should matter, but my instincts obviously aren't helping here, so it can't hurt to try all your changes. I'm tempted to think that maybe the (5 GHz) name difference could be a culprit -- however, I know I ran fine like that in the past.

Perhaps the COMBINATION of you running your 2.4 GHz network on b/g/n and giving it the same name as your 5 GHz network is helping? That's the only thing I can think of, because leaving one network with the 5 GHz name, and then changing the 2.4 GHz to either b/g/n or b/g didn't make a difference at all. Maybe somehow the iPhone is confused by the 5 GHz name being there, although it never shows up in the possible networks (because the iPhone can't do 5 GHz like the iPad can).

It is strange that I can reproduce the problem on the iPad if I try to have it join the 2.4 GHz net rather than the 5 GHz net.

I'll report back when I have had the chance to test some of these settings.

Again, a sincere thanks for your wandering over and working on this with and for me.

Happy new year.

Jan 6, 2011 8:33 PM in response to Linda Custer

I will respond a little here, and will take what you said to heart, but it may take me several days to thoroughly test because I'm involved in a work project full out right now.

No problem. I'm sorry that you experiencing such problems with your iDevices. Don't worry and report back when you are ready. We are just fellow users here to help.

o MobileMe I DO, BUT THIS IS EASY TO REMOVE FOR TESTING

Please do. It is only a hunch at this point, but may prove useful. Enabling MobileMe, as you know, allows you to access the TC from the Internet. It does this by "manipulating" the router with the active firewall (your FiOS router in this case) to open the appropriate communication ports.

o Printer sharing I DO HAVE A PRINTER, BUT AGAIN EASY TO REMOVE FOR TESTING

Don't bother as I don't expect this has anything to do with it.

o Allow this network to be extended (unchecked) CHECKED, BUT EASY TO UNCHECK FOR TESTING

Unless you are planning on using another TC or other AirPort to extend the wireless range of your current TC, then this should remain unchecked.

o Wireless Security: WPA/WPA2 Personal PREFER WPA2 ONLY, BUT TRIED BOTH

Actually, for troubleshooting purposes, you may want to temporarily disable wireless encryption all together.

o Configure IPv4: Manually I USE DCHP, WHY DID YOU USE MANUAL?

MY NETWORK IS 192.168.1.X BASED, THOUGH, BY DCHP. AGAIN. I CAN CHANGE FOR TESTING, BUT I'VE HAD THIS SETUP ALWAYS, EVEN WITH AN OLD TIME CAPSULE NON SDB, AND IT'S ALWAYS WORKED FINE. I AM OF COURSE WILLING TO MODIFY FOR TESTING!!!

FYI ... In the networking world it is always a good idea to use static Private IP addresses for servers, printers, NAS devices, routers, wireless access points ... basically anything other than computers. This assures that these devices can always be accessed with the same address.

In the case of my network, I have two AEBSns connected back to the main Internet router. That router performs as a DHCP server for all of my networked computers. My AEBSns, two printers, and a NAS box all have static IP addresses just outside of the DHCP server's range.

o DNS Server(s): I use the OpenDNS servers here: 208.67.222.222 & 207.67.220.220 I USE WHAT FIOS PROVIDES, SINCE I HAVE HEARD THAT USING GOOGLE OR OPENDNS CAN SLOW DOWN VIDEO, BUT AGAIN, I AM WILLING TO TRY TO TEST

Hmm, I haven't experienced that at all. In fact I usually get much better web-browsing performance over my ISP's servers.

Perhaps the COMBINATION of you running your 2.4 GHz network on b/g/n and giving it the same name as your 5 GHz network is helping? That's the only thing I can think of, because leaving one network with the 5 GHz name, and then changing the 2.4 GHz to either b/g/n or b/g didn't make a difference at all. Maybe somehow the iPhone is confused by the 5 GHz name being there, although it never shows up in the possible networks (because the iPhone can't do 5 GHz like the iPad can).

What I typically experience is that wireless devices capable of communicating on both bands will connect to the 5 GHz radio when near the base station (usually the same room) and the 2.4 GHz radio when moving farther out (leaving the room).

What I have basically configured for is called a "roaming" network. I can literally walk a laptop from room to room in my two story home and still be on the "same" wireless network.

Unable to connect iPhone 4 properly to Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.