Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhoto '11 Autosplit won't work, the Events aren't created after import.

I have setup the preference in 2 hour gap for the Autosplit Events, but it won't work.

iPhoto '11 won't create any Event al all, I have to create them manually which is a pain, and on top of that I can't rename the events after I manually crate them.

Is this normal? Any suggestion?

MacBook Pro 15', Mac OS X (10.6.5), 4 MB RAM

Posted on Jan 3, 2011 3:01 PM

28 replies

Feb 5, 2011 6:34 PM in response to Destructiva

I have setup the preference in 2 hour gap for the Autosplit Events, but it won't work.

iPhoto '11 won't create any Event al all, I have to create them manually which is a pain, and on top of that I can't rename the events after I manually crate them.

Is this normal? Any suggestion?

No it is not normal - A good general step for strange issues is to renew the iPhoto preference file - quit iPhoto and go to "your user name" ==> library ==> preferences ==> com.apple.iPhoto.plist and trash it - launch iPhoto which creates a fresh new default preference file and reset any personal preferences you have changed and if you have moved the iPhoto library repoint to it. This may help

This does not affect your photos or any database information (keywords, faces, places, ratings, etc) in any way - they are stored in the iPhoto library - the iPhoto preference file simply controls how iPhoto works - which is why renewing it is a good first step.

LN

Aug 4, 2011 12:18 AM in response to Destructiva

Don't do that if you trash com.apple.iPhoto.plist you'll loose your library: Events, Photos, etc.

You won't. You may cause iPhoto to lose the link to it, but you will not lose the Library. To re-connect with the Library:

Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library'

Regards

TD

Dec 1, 2011 9:13 PM in response to Destructiva

Ever since the upgrade to iPhoto 11 (at least I believe it occurred then), I have not gotten any events created when I upload photos from my iPhone or camera. The only place they show up is in Last Import. This is not very helpful. So I found this thread, deleted the .plist file, and lo and behold Events are now created when I import photos. That's the good news. The bad news is that I lost all my albums and all the hard work I put into them. I'm sure I can go back and recover that with Time Machine. But my question is this: is there any way to get both things I want at the same time: my Albums and having Events created on import?

Dec 1, 2011 11:17 PM in response to brucerpeterson

Every photo in your Library is in an Event. All of them. Every import means at least one new Event. We see a lot of folks saying something along the lines of

I have not gotten any events created when I upload photos from my iPhone or camera. The only place they show up is in Last Import.

It's always a case the the Event is there, just not where you expect it to be. This is either because the date on the photos is wrong or the sorting of Event is wrong.

When you trashed the plist file, the Sorting of the Events reverted to factory defaults.

You can always find the Event in iPhoto 11 simply by right clicking on the pic and selecting 'Show Event'

Regards

TD

Dec 2, 2011 12:01 AM in response to Yer_Man

You were absolutely correct - I assume that comes as no surprise to you. I guess when I upgraded to iPhoto 11 that for some reason the setting for the sort order for events got changed from By Date to Manually. I certainly didn't do it since until you pointed out that there was that capability I never knew that it existed. After reading your reply I looked and found that the ability to select the sort order for events existed. Before that I had always assumed that the only way that Events were sorted was by date. So thanks very much for helping me out.

IPhoto '11 Autosplit won't work, the Events aren't created after import.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.