Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

adjust volume for iTunes with master F9/F10/F11 volume keys with Apple TV

I'm not sure if I should post this in Apple TV or iTunes so I'll try both.

When I am using my MBA speakers or headphone out to play iTunes I can control the volume with the master volume keys (F9, F10, F11). However, when I toggle iTunes to send the music to my Apple TV (which has an output to my stereo receiver) the master volume keys don't adjust the volume. I have to physically go into iTunes and reduce the volume on the slider bar.

Is there a way to have the master volume keys adjust the volume of the output to Apple TV (or iTunes)?

MB Air 2010, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 2.13GHz/4GB/256GB SSD

Posted on Jan 3, 2011 3:02 PM

19 replies

Jan 3, 2012 1:27 PM in response to Winston Churchill

An Apple remote:

User uploaded file

controls the master volume of the computer.

It will not control the iTunes slider top left of iTunes window:

User uploaded file

iTunes can be sent to external speakers, as is my case using the speaker control bottom right of iTunes window thus:

User uploaded file

but the volume of these speakers can not be controlled by the Apple remote:

User uploaded file

The remote will only control the volume from the computer's own speakers, or speakers physically plugged into the audio output jack of the computer, of which I have none.

In summary: the remote will not control this slider unless the aforementioned app is installed:

User uploaded file

The first post in this chain explains the issue, the only difference is the fact that I am using a remote to control volume and not the keyboard.

Dec 28, 2012 3:07 PM in response to pj737

Dear All,

I have crated a little app that should help to control the volume of itunes with keyboard hotkeys. In addition, it allows one to use the Apple remote as well to control iTunes volume instead of the general one.

You can download the app iTunes Volume Control here https://github.com/alberti42/iTunes-Volume-Control. It is for free.

This is basically an extended, free version of Volume for iTunes.

Andrea

adjust volume for iTunes with master F9/F10/F11 volume keys with Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.