Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

APA format for Pages app

I just bought my new iPad the other day and so far I am loving it. One of the things I will be using this for is school. I want to download the Pages app and I had a question about the formatting templates on there before I spend $10 bucks. I have to write APA style papers for my classes and I see that you can download formats for writing papers in the various formats (MLA, APA, etc.). Do these formats come pre-loaded in the pages app or do you have to actually download them? And if you have to download them will I be able to do that on the iPad? Thanks for the help.

iOS 4

Posted on Jan 4, 2011 6:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2011 7:24 AM

I see that you can download formats for writing papers in the various formats (MLA, APA, etc.).

Where exactly did you see that? Were they for the iPad version of Pages or for the OS X version? Because they are not the same, and you cannot download stuff from the general internet to use on the iPad, you must get it from the iTunes app store.
16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2011 7:24 AM in response to Adamh305

I see that you can download formats for writing papers in the various formats (MLA, APA, etc.).

Where exactly did you see that? Were they for the iPad version of Pages or for the OS X version? Because they are not the same, and you cannot download stuff from the general internet to use on the iPad, you must get it from the iTunes app store.

Jan 4, 2011 8:08 AM in response to Adamh305

If you have Pages for OSX you can do this...
Download an APA template for Pages from the Internet....
Place the template into the user, application support folder, iWorks folder, template folder, my template folder.
Open the Pages app on your desktop computer and choose the APA template.

Save that file and send it to Pages on the iPad. Open the APA file...

It's a sloppy way in doing this but it works.

Message was edited by: David M Brewer

Jan 4, 2011 8:14 AM in response to David M Brewer

I just saw a download link as I was searching my around the Internet. I know you cannot download/save files directly to the iPad I was just wondering if there was some way of saving it to iTunes and syncing it over or something like that. I do not have pages for OSX. I don't really have THAT much of a need for Pages I just wanted to download it for my iPad to do my school work on it since i enjoy working on my iPad rather than my iMac. But seeing that Pages had these templates in them already made me want to use it since I have to write papers in this format.

I guess basically what i want to know is, are these various writing templates (MLA, APA) pre-loaded in the iPad version of Pages or do you have to get them from somewhere? And if they are not already on there is it even possible to put them on there? Thanks for the help!

Jan 4, 2011 8:23 AM in response to Adamh305

Adamh305 wrote:
I guess basically what i want to know is, are these various writing templates (MLA, APA) pre-loaded in the iPad version of Pages or do you have to get them from somewhere? And if they are not already on there is it even possible to put them on there? Thanks for the help!

No, you can't load new templates into Pages on the iPad. Pages on the iPad does not have MLA or APA templates. Looks like the Pages on the iPad isn't going to fit your needs...

Mar 10, 2011 11:51 PM in response to Adamh305

Just got my 1st Mac 3 days ago. From what I can tell, I may have to get MS Office for Mac so I can easily do APA.

MS Office for Windows automatically does APA formatting, so I assume it does it on Mac version too.

Doesn't seem like Pages does APA automatically. If that's the case, I will have to go with Office for Mac.

Apr 22, 2011 3:19 AM in response to medrep

Actually...no. I switched to Mac three years ago. Since then I finished my BA in psych and then my MS. I did all my APA papers on Pages. While less things are automatic in Pages...it is more user friendly. I made my APA 5 template in Pages in about 5 minutes, from cover page to references. I used it until APA 6 came out and then just re-made it...again in 5 minutes. I can;t tell you how many papers I wrote with it, including my thesis. So much easier to just use Mac products. [Tip: If you write APA papers and do a lot of research, get Sente 6 for Mac and also for iPad from thirdstreetsoftware.com. It is an articles/PDF/citation DREAM COME TRUE]

I'm done giving money to B.G. every year for the same product. At least S.J. takes less money, less often.

Apr 5, 2013 7:17 PM in response to Adamh305

I Just did a lot of research to find someway to get the apa template on my ipad for Pages as well and I fond this really nice app you can get for just 1.99 on the app store http://appshopper.com/productivity/templates-for-pages-for-ipad-iphone-ipod-touc h it comes with 175 different and very useful templates including an MLA template. I hope this helps.

APA format for Pages app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.