Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding Images to Existing Location Bug

When applying an existing location to one or more photos, a new pin/location is created, rather than assigning the existing pin/location. The off-set of the new location is affected by map zoom level, and as a result, can range from feet to miles.

Steps to reproduce:
View at least two images
Switch to Places View
Assign two images a location (by dragging to map, or search field)
Deselect one of the two images (Note: Skip this step to move the location)
Hover mouse over the Location Pin just created until it's Label appears
Right-click the Label and choose "Assign Photos"

A new pin will appear above, and slightly to the right, of the existing pin. Complete with location information appropriate for where the new pin is located.

It is also possible to off-set/move the location of existing tagged images by re-applying (via right-click/Assign Photo) the same location to one or more images.

There also seems to be a similar discrepancy when defining a location in My Places. I sure hope all my HOURS of assigning locations hasn't been wasted!!!

Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Jan 4, 2011 12:11 PM

3 replies

Jan 4, 2011 2:11 PM in response to Rob-K

Rob-K,

I noticed the same thing. It's sort of non-intuitive. "Assign Photos" does not do what anyone (or at least the two of us!) would think it should do. In a similar vein, I would like to be able to drag some photos to an existing pin and have Aperture "snap to" the existing pin. However, it seems that the drag-and-drop method of assigning locations will only make a new location.

Have you made any feedback to Apple?

http://www.apple.com/feedback/aperture.html

nathan
BTW, your thorough analysis and write-up makes it sound like you're a software engineer or integration & test person. Good job!

Jan 4, 2011 3:44 PM in response to Mr Endo

Thanks for the kind words Nathan! I figure it's worth the time to be as clear as possible.

Dragging to an existing pin is something I also tried. Seems like the most intuitive way, but as you mentioned, no go.

Ironically, the recent geo tagging changes in iPhoto `11 are what (among other things) drove me to Aperture. And here I am back at similar tagging issues.

Cheers! 🙂

Adding Images to Existing Location Bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.