Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer Problems

I've been using a 1TB harddrive to store most of my video files and stuff like that since it takes up a lot of space. Well today when I tried to transfer my files a little faded "caution" emblem popped up in place of the mouse. This hasn't happened before and im not doing anything differently, so whats wrong?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 12:00 PM

13 replies

Jan 5, 2011 12:07 PM in response to DerekBrackett

Impossible to say without any additional information. However first BACK IT UP!!!!! It's possible the disk may be failing or has become corrupted some how. You don't mention if this is an internal of external HD, I'm guessing external. Also it would be helpful to know the make, model and method of connection.

However if internal run Disk Utility and check it's S.M.A.R.T status, if it doesn't say Verified it's definitely in trouble and either need to be repaired or replaced.

If external also running Disk Utility run Verify Disk and Repair Disk. If you get errors in Repair Disk run it several times until either it doesn't get errors or you have determined it is damaged. If it's damaged replace it immediately.

Roger

Jan 5, 2011 12:50 PM in response to DerekBrackett

That's because without special third-party driver software, the Mac OS can *only read* NTFS-formatted volumes. It can't write to them. So you can read anything that's stored on your NTFS drive, but you can't edit and save, move, or trash anything on it, and you can't copy or save any new content onto it.

[NTFS-3G|http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-download> (free) or [Tuxera NTFS|http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac> (the more polished commercial version) would give you full read/write ability on any NTFS-formatted drive.

Transfer Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.