Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turning Airplay OFF on iPhone?

So I'm sure I'm in the minority, but is there any way to turn OFF the Airplay feature on my iPhone? I don't use it, but I do have appleTV at my house, and more than once I've accidentally interrupted a movie someone was watching when I was flipping through pics on my iPhone and clicked on the Airplay icon.

Suggestions?

iPhone4, apple tv 2nd gen, iOS 4

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 6:10 PM

22 replies

Jan 17, 2013 4:33 PM in response to CrankCaller

CrankCaller wrote:

It should be absolutely trivial to add an option in Settings to disable AirPlay when you don't want to use it.

An iOS device will not automatically start using an AirPlay device that's available without you initiating it. Your wife would have to tap the AirPlay icon and then select the device for her iOS device to start using it. Just because its there does not mean it has to be used, that's hardly a "terrible" answer.

Jan 17, 2013 5:24 PM in response to rockmyplimsoul

Respectfully, we differ in opinion.

The AppleTV at my wife's office, whoever it belongs to, shows up intermittently when she goes into her Photos app.

All it takes is a single tap in the wrong place when this happens - a tap that is a half inch away from the "right" tap - to send her photos to an unknown viewer.

A UI where it's fairly easy to make a mistake is terrible interface design.

Even if it was not an easy mistake to click on the wrong output button, it's tiresome to have to tap on it every time you use Photos, Safari, Music, or Videos. I had been thinking about getting an Apple TV, but if it's going to pop up every time I use one of these apps, I'm thinking twice about getting it before they fix that.

Practically every other similar service on iOS is opt-in where you have to manually turn it on, and have the abiliity to turn it off: Bluetooth, Photo Streaming, iCloud, Home Sharing, even WiFi itself. This should NOT be an exception, and you should not have to sacrifice Wifi to do it.

Jan 17, 2013 6:50 PM in response to CrankCaller

CrankCaller wrote:

All it takes is a single tap in the wrong place when this happens - a tap that is a half inch away from the "right" tap - to send her photos to an unknown viewer.

Have you ever even used AirPlay? It takes two taps, once on the AirPlay icon and then again to select the device in the pop-up. You'd have to be rather impaired to "accidentally" send your pictures to an AirPlay device. I suppose the Music app ought to be opt-in too, since you might inadvertently start playing Metallica at full volume.

Jan 17, 2013 7:09 PM in response to rockmyplimsoul

Admittedly I have not (and I noted as much), but these folks all have:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4397828?start=0&tstart=0

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/65955/how-to-disable-airplay-on-ipad

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/td1ob/psa_always_make_sure_you_disconnect _your/

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1434841

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/65955/how-to-disable-airplay-on-ipad

...in addition to OP for this thread, and most likely the 4 people besides me who clicked on "I have this question too."

These cases are indicitive of less than perfect UI. World class UI, which is *usually* typical for Apple, makes bad choices very difficult to make.

"Use it better" is, frankly, a crappy answer.

Mar 5, 2013 4:16 AM in response to LeeYM

LeeYM wrote:

how come the word "sxcks" can't be displayed?

Because it has been deemed rude and offensive. Some of us here are adults who believe in behaving like well brought up people and who appreciate Apple keeping the language from degenerating into that you'd find on a teenage gamer forum. Hang around. You may learn something. 😉

Sep 6, 2015 6:42 AM in response to Yudodistomi

Yudodistomi wrote:

Dearest Meg, please get down off that high horse. I wrote this in Times New Roman font to indicate the seriousness of my tone.

Did you really just join this forum to resurrect a thread that's been dormant for over two years to criticize a lighthearted comment I made? That you obviously didn't understand? Thank you for a good laugh.

Feb 3, 2016 7:07 PM in response to chrisme

I wanted a way to turn off airplay through something like general preferences so that all my airplay capable devices don't show up as an option or even an airplay icon on my sons old iphone. I was hoping not to have to justify WHY I would want this but reading through the obnoxious answers from a few people I will elaborate. My son is 2. He has a small phone which he uses to watch you tube kids for a LIMITED time. He gets stuck with this button occasionally and a few times he has cranked my Denon AVR so loud I thought the windows were going to break. Yes, I realize that this is not the target demographic for apple and I don't expect them to add this to the upgrade list. I just want to know if someone creative has come up with a way to remove the option -thus no icon. There are other ways I can manage this (PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY) but I am really looking to simplify the user interface for my son ... don't want him going over to windows. 😉

Turning Airplay OFF on iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.