Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro boot time

Hi. I recently upgraded my MacBook Pro from 4GB of memory to 8GB of memory. At the same time I upgraded the 250GB internal hard disk with a 500GB Seagate Momentus XT hard drive. The MacBook Pro works fine once it has started up. But it takes significantly longer to boot up than it used to. With more memory and an internal hard drive with solid state memory, I expected the machine to boot up faster. Is there something else that I should be doing, such as re-setting PRAM? Or maybe I just need to re-install the old memory and hard drive, one at a time, to see which component is causing the longer boot time. Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jan 6, 2011 2:54 AM

3 replies

Jan 6, 2011 9:44 AM in response to pomme4moi

pomme4moi wrote:
it takes significantly longer to boot up than it used to. With more memory and an internal hard drive with solid state memory, I expected the machine to boot up faster.

This may not explain everything, but your Mac tests its RAM when it starts. It takes longer to test more RAM. If you want to investigate the issue, I'd start by reinstalling the old RAM.

You might also use the Console utility to see if there are any messages that could explain the slow boot.

MacBook Pro boot time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.