Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant find downloaded movies

During the process of downloading two movies recently I ran out of quota of data. I paid for more data and the download appeared to continue. However, I cant find these movies anywhere in the Apple TV menus.

Could the interruption (to renew data quota) have somehow interfered with the downloads so that I have lost the movies?

If not, Where should I look for the movies?

I see that I have been charged for the two movies.

Any advice appreciated.

JohnC

eMac plus MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Jan 6, 2011 3:11 AM

7 replies

Jan 6, 2011 12:36 PM in response to vazandrew

That's right Vazandrew

I rented "Gone with the Wind" and download time registered about 4 hours. On advice from my 16yo, I then rented "Bonnie and Clyde" with the notion that it being shorter would download more quickly. It registered a download time of 8 hours. That's when I sussed that my download quota was up. I now realise that I added to the problem by trying to download two movies at once when download speed was compromised.

However, I would have thought that downloads would have continued once quota was restored.

No rented movies show up anywhere at top of screen. But, as I say, I have been charged for these in my iTunes account.

Any clues?

JohnC

Jan 7, 2011 12:20 PM in response to Chenks

Thanks Chenks

Im new to Apple TV so still learning the ropes. Switching power off and on made a difference. One of the 'disappeared' rented movies magically reappeared at the top of the screen and have re-rented the other so I will see if I am charged again.

While Ive got you...

There are clearly some tricks needed to successfully viewing movies downloaded on ATV. For example, on viewing one of the movies mentioned above, about 40 mins in the screen froze and the spinning daisy wheel appeared. The movie recommenced for another 10 mins and then repeated stalling and daisy wheel spinning so I gave up watching becasue it became too irritating.

Im imagining that the problem is that downloading rate cannot keep pace (right?). But Ive checked in ATV "Settings" and there is a 5 bar signal, so Im guessing that this indicates a strong signal therefore not a problem with my wifi. Im also now on a whopping 100gb data quota plan, so should be no probs there either.

So question is: how do people manage to view a whole movie without the irritating screen freeze? Is the trick to download an hour before actually viewing, even the day before, or what? I'd be interested to hear others' experiences.

Cheers

JohnC

Jan 7, 2011 12:24 PM in response to John coveney

John coveney wrote:
Im imagining that the problem is that downloading rate cannot keep pace (right?). But Ive checked in ATV "Settings" and there is a 5 bar signal, so Im guessing that this indicates a strong signal therefore not a problem with my wifi. Im also now on a whopping 100gb data quota plan, so should be no probs there either.

the bar signal is simply your wifi signal strength - nothing to do with your internet speed.
you quota is not relevant in this instance.

it keeps pausing because your internet speed is not fast enough to sustain playback.
either your connection speed is poor, or your connection is being throttled by your ISP.

So question is: how do people manage to view a whole movie without the irritating screen freeze?

trick is to have a good, fast ISP 🙂

Jan 8, 2011 1:53 PM in response to Chenks

Thanks Chenks

I will talk with my IPS, but might be stuck with the internet speed; Im writing from Australia (Adelaide) and I dont think our overall network is best practice yet. The whole country awaits a roll out of better broadband.

In the meantime...

How about my suggestion of factoring in a downloading time - would this create a buffer that would prevent this problem?

JohnC

cant find downloaded movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.