Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using 3rd party USB Wifi dongle

My G4 1.67Ghz PB has really really bad reception using its built in Airport Wireless. I have a Wireless dongle from Safecom but didnt have much luck getting it working.

I downloaded some driver called Zydas or something and it did work but most of the time unreliably and would sometimes cause 100% CPU usage.

Is there any alternative driver or anything else i can use to fix the miserable wifi range?

PB G4 1.67Ghz 2Gb Ram - iMac 3.06Ghz 4Gb Ram, Mac OS X (10.5.8), iPhone 4 16gb

Posted on Jan 6, 2011 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2011 6:37 PM

Many USB dongles do not have Mac driver support. Either they don't exist at all or you are own your own finding something "fourth-party" that works.

People buying Mac-capable dongles from OWC have reported good results. I like this one:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/MXP2802NU2C/

because the "cradle" allows flexibility in placement of the receiver for best reception.

Whether to get a dongle that does "n" speeds depends on your connections. I have a MacBook Pro with "n" and a PowerBook G4 with "g." Our cable ISP delivers 5.5mbps in our modest northwestern town. Both computers report the same download speed at home. Only when I packed both to Portland OR last summer to visit our daughter, who has 24mbps Comcast service, did the difference between "g" and "n" showed up.

The PPB17 showed it was hitting about 17.5mbps and the MacBook Pro plus my daughter's Mac Mini reported a little more than 18.5. All three computers on a cat5 wire reported 24.

"n" is supposed to give better range from the router than "g" but, other than that, you won't see much difference between the two unles you have an broadband connection fater tehn about 15mbps/
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2011 6:37 PM in response to Dougal222

Many USB dongles do not have Mac driver support. Either they don't exist at all or you are own your own finding something "fourth-party" that works.

People buying Mac-capable dongles from OWC have reported good results. I like this one:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/MXP2802NU2C/

because the "cradle" allows flexibility in placement of the receiver for best reception.

Whether to get a dongle that does "n" speeds depends on your connections. I have a MacBook Pro with "n" and a PowerBook G4 with "g." Our cable ISP delivers 5.5mbps in our modest northwestern town. Both computers report the same download speed at home. Only when I packed both to Portland OR last summer to visit our daughter, who has 24mbps Comcast service, did the difference between "g" and "n" showed up.

The PPB17 showed it was hitting about 17.5mbps and the MacBook Pro plus my daughter's Mac Mini reported a little more than 18.5. All three computers on a cat5 wire reported 24.

"n" is supposed to give better range from the router than "g" but, other than that, you won't see much difference between the two unles you have an broadband connection fater tehn about 15mbps/

Mar 8, 2011 10:19 PM in response to Dougal222

I had the same problem. I couldn't get a signal with the internal airport unless I was sitting in the same room with the wireless router.

I bought a very small dongle that doesn't protrude more than a 1/4" from the side of my PB. It was less than $18.00 and came with software for OSX which worked perfectly:

http://www.meritline.com/airlink101-awll5088-wireless-n-ultra-mini-usb-adapter-- -p-45923.aspx

Now I can roam anywhere in my home, even downstairs (the router is upsairs). I don't ever remove the dongle, the PB fits in the case with the dongle installed.

Good luck.

Using 3rd party USB Wifi dongle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.