Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone app suddenly upside down on my iPad

Something strange just happened. I have the Apple iPad case, which you can fold to prop up the iPad up at an angle. My daughter has been playing several landscape oriented iPhone games on the iPad with the iPad propped up just fine until now. Today, for some odd reason, the games now launch upside down and refuse to be flipped. Now she has to flip the iPad around and can longer play them while it is propped up. Worse thing could happen, but it is quite annoying.

It is bizarre because this was working fine on these same games until today. The orientation is not locked or anything of the sort. In fact, if I lock the orientation one way, the iPhone games still launch upside down. I've tried killing the apps and restarting the iPad, but the same thing still happens. The iPad is running the latest OS (4.2.1) and the only thing that has changed is that a few additional apps were downloaded in the last day. Is it possible that another iPhone app can mess with the setting and cause every other iPhone app to launch in a specific orientation? That's a shot in the dark, but I can't think of any other reason why this would happen.

Thanks in advance!

iPad, iOS 4

Posted on Jan 6, 2011 2:47 PM

3 replies

Jan 6, 2011 3:27 PM in response to leedgitar

Thanks for a fairly detailed post, but there are a few more things which would be helpful to know.

Which apps are upside down now?
When played on an iPhone, do they invert? Did they before, on the iPad that is?
Have they been updated recently?
By killing do you mean Force Quit? The steps aren't the same.
Have you also tried to Reset the iPad iaw the Tips & Troubleshooting section of your manual? If not, try it.

Jan 7, 2011 9:23 AM in response to Michael Morgan1

The Sims 3 and the Simpsons are 2 examples . On my iPhone 4, they both starts in a specific horizontal orientation and won't flip so it doesn't seem they can be reoriented. However, on the iPad, they definitely used to launch in one orientation and now they launch in the opposite orientation.

By killing, I mean double tapping home, then removing the app from the list at the bottom.

I'll try the reset and see what happens.

Thanks for the response!

Jan 21, 2011 3:50 PM in response to leedgitar

I'm seeing the same thing on my iPad running iOS 4.2.1, but don't know if behavior was ever different since i just got it for christmas. I see a number of iPod/iPhone apps only run in landscape with the button to the right, so they are mis-oriented in the Apple case. Examples are iSniper, Jelly Car, Ragdoll Blast, GTS World Racing. It might be an app problem, since all of these seem to choose an orientation on my iPod as well.

Thanks!

iPhone app suddenly upside down on my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.