Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Medical spell checker?

I am taking an anatomy and physiology class and the terms I am using are not in the normal spell checker's library. Is there a download to update my spell checker that would accomodate medical terminology?

iBook G4 Mac OS X (10.4.3)

iBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Dec 15, 2005 1:42 PM

6 replies

Dec 15, 2005 5:43 PM in response to MSchmalenberger

Welcome to Apple Discussions

On my iDisk is a .zip file you can download that has medical dictionary files for both AppleWorks 5 & 6. The AppleWorks 6 version is in two parts as there is a limit of 2883 words in a user dictionary. Double-click the .zip file to decompress it & put both parts in HD > Applications > AppleWorks 6 > AppleWorks Essentials > Dictionaries.

Peggy

Dec 15, 2005 6:35 PM in response to Peggy

Thank you Peggy. I think I got it in there correctly. How comprehensive is the list of medical terms? I typed in "vestibulocochlear" and it did not recognize this word. I instructed the spell checker to "learn" it but was wondering if there were any updates available to the files I got from you or if this was something I may have to do occasionally. Thanks again.

Matt

Dec 15, 2005 6:43 PM in response to MSchmalenberger

I really don't know how comprehensive it is. Unfortunately, I don't use a Mac at work & just don't have much need to check for medical terminology at home any more.

I can't say I've ever had the occasion to use "vestibulocochlear" before, even in the number of reviews for cochlear implants I've done over the years. There are always going to be some specialized words & you will be able to add to the dictionaries up to the word limit.

Peggy

Jan 7, 2006 8:00 PM in response to Neobe Velis

You can't open dictionaries by clicking on them. First, make sure you have put them in HD > Applications > AppleWorks 6 > AppleWorks Essentials > Dictionaries. Now, you have to tell AppleWorks to use that dictionary. With a WP document open, go to Edit/Writing Tools -> Select Dictionaries... Click "User Dictionary" then click "Choose," navigate to the dictionary -> Select. Unfortunately, because there are more words in the medical dictionary than an AppleWorks 6 user dictionary can hold, you'll have to do this process to change parts.

Since there are medical terms in there I've never used, I've considered creating a new, smaller, single file dictionary, but I'm likely to leave off words someone else might need.

Peggy

Medical spell checker?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.