Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture not reconnecting referenced files

Hi everybody,
suddenly Aperture cannot reconnect the referenced masters on an external drive.

After locating the files, and selecting +reconnect all+ it will only reconnect one file: I have in this library over 15000 images, obvious I cannot do one at the time...

I already checked Mac Os permissions, all external drive permissions, plus I've done all the repairing and database rebuilding on the Aperture library, without success..:-( even tried with a different computer

Any body experienced something similar? and any ideas of the problem? I urgently need to export files but unable to do it...
thanks in advance for any advice
G

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Jan 7, 2011 4:25 AM

9 replies

Jan 7, 2011 7:15 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Hi!
yes I am, in fact if I don't, it wouldn't let me select *File->Locate Referenced Files*...
I do get there, but I can only do one image at the time, even if I select multiple images and I click on *Reconnect All*, it will only reconnect just one image, and I have over 15000 images that need to be reconnected...

Message was edited by: Gianluca Colla

Jan 7, 2011 7:22 AM in response to Gianluca Colla

Gianluca Colla wrote:
Hi!
yes I am, in fact if I don't, it wouldn't let me select File->Locate Referenced Files...
I do get there, but I can only do one image at the time, even if I select Reconnect All, in will only reconnect just one image, and I have over 15000 images that need to be reconnected...

You could only have one file selected and it would still allow you to select *Files->Locate Referenced Files*, I asked if you had all missing files selected.

So you have all files that are missing selected, good. So when you go into the *Referenced Files in Selection* window the upper half shows your missing files, right? You need to reconnect one of the missing files and then use the *Reconnect All* button. Aperture should reconnect all (most?) of the files. You may have to do this a few times.

Jan 7, 2011 11:59 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

I tried a few billions of time.. 😟 but it doesn't work!!!
Unless I'm really missing something obvious, it's a procedure I do quite often and know quite well how to do it.. but this time JUST this library is driving me crazy!

I've repaired all kind of permission, rebuilt the database, tried to copy the master on different drives and copied the library on different hardwares, but still I get the same problem.

Strange thing is: normally in the relocation window that appears, the missing files have a "missing" location (normally the drive where they used to be) here the missing files are on a <null> drive, and most strangely, they haven't been moved from they're original location.

Mar 20, 2011 4:26 AM in response to Gianluca Colla

I've got the exact same problem after I moved my pictures out of the Aperture library and into a Master folder on the local harddrive, where the pictures are organized into folders by year/month/date.
All pictures imported after the "switch" are Online and the old ones (about 15000) are Offline.
In Aperture I select all the photos in my library, go File -> Locate referenced files and a window shows.
In the upper left half of the window there is a list over the files that are Online and Offline. The thing is that the Offline files have the correct file path, but the volume is set to <null>.
I have selected a file that is Offline in the upper half of the window, and in the lower half I select the exact file path and push button labelled Reconnect. The selected file now shows in the the category of Online files, as expected. If i push the button labelled Reconnect All, the same thing happens with that one file selected, but not with any of the other offline files. I have also tried to first push Reconnect then followed by Reconnect All, with the same result. I really don't want to repeat this process 15000 more times...
Is there an other way to update the offline files with the correct Volume information?

Mar 20, 2011 4:49 AM in response to janborgar

An other thing:
I have tried to use the filter function to let Aperture show me the files that are Offline and Online, and the result is a bit strange:
File status "Online": 128 files (while File -> Located referenced files tells me 104...)
File status "Offline": 0 files (while File -> Located referenced files tells me 14443...)
File status "Missing": 0 files.

Mar 12, 2015 4:30 AM in response to pål åge

I have EXACTLY the same problem. MacBook Air Yosemite, Aperture 3.6.

At some time in the past (some years) I was able to use "Reconnect All" and it successfully rattled through a large chunk of the files and thousands of files could be reconnected without too much work on my part. Now I can only ever get one file at a time, even if they are consecutive files with the same path and directory structure.

Aperture not reconnecting referenced files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.