Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse double-clicks with a single click... WTF ?!?!?

My mouse is affected by a strange issue: when I click once on an icon or something like that, it double-clicks.

It seems that many Mac (and Windows) users are affected by this, but there are no recent threads in this forum about it.

This is driving me nuts. HELP !!!

Mouse is a Logitech wireless USB.

MacBook Pro 15'', Mac OS X (10.6.6), 2,53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM

Posted on Jan 7, 2011 9:03 AM

13 replies

Feb 7, 2011 10:08 AM in response to Warren Chow

I have two magic mice and a wired kensington (for emergencies) and all three devices exhibit the same behaviour: they all doube-click when I single-click.

I've also been having to put up with this issue for some months now and it's beginning to wind me up.

I'm running on a MacBook Pro (Model Id: MacBookPro5,2) running OS X 10.6.6.

Please, Apple, acknowledge this problem and give us some feedback.

Thanks,
Iain.

Feb 8, 2011 12:55 PM in response to Tyrexionibus

I've been experiencing the same problem lately. Single mouse clicks are registering as double-clicks. This is causing me a huge amount of productivity loss because all of a sudden, single clicks on files are launching applications.

I can't say exactly when this started but I'd guess it was within the last month or two. At first I just assumed I had inadvertently double-clicked my mouse (USB Logitech Marble Mouse.) But over time it has become obvious that it is not an errant double-click causing this behavior. I've updated the LCC to rule out the possibility of corruption or old version being used. I've also switched to a different mouse (wireless) which also exhibits the same behavior. I've done permissions repair and don't really know what else I can do.

It's almost as if this is a secret "feature" that has suddenly appeared because of a system update though I'd be really shocked if that was the case.

Anyway I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and/or has any suggestions.

I want my single-click back!

Mar 3, 2011 5:34 AM in response to Tyrexionibus

yes im getting it and im close to throwing the f-ing mouse in the canal with a brick tied around it so no-one else can use it.

**** ANNOYING THIS!!

come on apple sort out your stuff, it bad enough that we have created a mouse for a mainly design environment and you have given us a new mouse (which may take 6 months to a year to change again)
and when i use cinema 4d / after effects and even illustrator or photoshop, its just not ment to be used with a mouse that is like a shopping trolley.

does anyone else agree the new mouse in *£&@!

peace

Feb 20, 2014 11:23 AM in response to Tyrexionibus

I have this problem as well...

I think the problem is in my Logitech cordless mouse though. By going to System Prefs / Mouse, I changed the primary mouse button to the right button and the right button didn't double click. This isn't an acceptable solution though but I think it narrows the problem. May try to clean the mouse. I've always prefered the hardwired mice anyway but they all seem to have functional problems after a while.

BTW Resetting the SMC didn't help me.

May 29, 2014 6:28 AM in response to Tyrexionibus

Ok, I might have the solution:

I've had this issue for some months now and I finally solved it!

I was using Microsoft® IntelliMouse® Explorer 3.0 and it double clicked 50% of the time.

So what I did is:

Go on (in this case) Microsoft's website and find your mouse, and install the driver. You'll have to install, restart, and then it should work perfectly!

If you're not owning a microsoft mouse but another company's just look on their website.

Here's the list of microsoft's mice:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/downloads

Hope this solves your issue,

Oct 1, 2016 8:09 PM in response to Tyrexionibus

Well, I had the same issue. It is really easy to fix, but kind of hidden. Instead of looking at the mouse preferences, go to the accessibility preferences. When there you will see a setting, double-click speed, but that is not really the culprit, at least not in my case. The problem is with the spring-loading delay setting. You can turn it off or you can make it long, which will solve your problem. It is really not a double click issue, but a spring load issue. When you hover over an icon for a period of time the system thinks you want to open it. This is actually quite useful, but when it is set too short it can be a nightmare of endlessly opening apps and folders. I think this should solve your problem.

Nov 16, 2016 9:13 AM in response to Surfer

I've been having the same problem in Sierra. It's a common mouse problem, and I figured Apple should have some way to disable all these spurious double-clicks, but I didn't know about the spring-loaded delay. I've disabled it. I don't know whether that will help.

And no, when I mouse over something I don't necessarily want to open or close it.

Apple really hasn't paid enough attention to accessibility. They've been pushing touch devices, tapping, and gestures, which can be inaccessible to people who are blind, or have proprioceptive issues, or have tremors. They've narrowed the scrollbars so they're harder to use, and they don't allow users to widen them. They've broken another set of mouse accessibility tools with Sierra. They've been pushing the magic trackpad and magic mouse which can wrreck users' hands and wrists.

Mouse double-clicks with a single click... WTF ?!?!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.