Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3 not recognizing iPhone

Aperture 3 will not mount my iPhone. I've ensured that Image Capture and iPhoto will recognize it, I've checked the setting to open Aperture when a camera is connected, I've tried different ports and cables, and I've restarted my Mac and the phone. It just won't show up. Any ideas? I have an iPhone 4 and everything is updated to the latest and greatest.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 7, 2011 2:48 PM

13 replies

Jan 16, 2011 1:36 PM in response to Megen Duffy

Yeah I'm having the same problem. When I plug in the iphone Aperture automatically loads but instead of bring up an import window (as it does whenever I plug in my camera) it does nothing. The only way I've figured around this is to actually plug in my camera at the same time. That brings up the import window for the camera, and then its just a matter of clicking on the iphone. Kind of a pain though if every time I want to import some photos from the iphone I have to get out the camera/cables etc. Any suggestions? Anyone...?

Jan 20, 2012 8:00 PM in response to Megen Duffy

I just started having the same issue after Aperture worked fine for about a month for me. I just made the switch from Iphoto, so it's extra annoying, as I'm just getting settled with Aperture, that I'm handcuffed by not being able to use the program now. The only thing that works seems to be rebooting the whole computer. Just quitting and reopening Itunes and Aperture doesn't work. ANybody have any new answers?

Aug 6, 2012 8:02 PM in response to jeremymaxwell

I experienced this and, as frustrating and silly as it is, switched the USB port I was using to connect the iphone 4 and then aperture recognized it. After checking all the setup, its a pain to have these issues. I will have to try if the original USB port I was trying will work again in the near future (can't now, I'm syncing 5,000 pics)

I'm using a MacBook Air, OSX 10.8, Aperture 3.3.2

Apr 16, 2013 6:44 AM in response to Megen Duffy

Took me a few days to figure this out. If you can see your iPhone in Aperture but no photos show up, it's most likley you have your settings on the right menu panel (RAW+JPEG Paris) set to import RAW only. Switch it to (Both (Use RAW as Original) or (JPEG only) and your images will then show up. iPhone does not shoot RAW format, so it does not see any photos. My guess is that the syncing issue is the same issue. Hope this helps. I use Aperture 3.4.3 and iPhone 5 IOS 6.1.3

Aug 12, 2015 5:02 PM in response to jimmytown

Thanks Jimmytown! Took me a minute 'cuz I never worked with image capture. So, a few quick mods to your post for anyone who (like me) comes along later and is unfamiliar with it.

Connect iPhone

Open Applications -> Image Cpature

Bottom left of the Image Capture window is the option setting

Import To:

with a drop down dialog box. Mine was set to the Photos directory.

Using that drop down dialog select "Aperture.app"

On the Image Capture menu bar, select: File -> Close

Launch Aperture

Import from iPhone is now enabled

Or, at least for me it was.

Aperture 3 not recognizing iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.