Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Price difference of RAM

I'm upgrading the memory in my imac G4 flat screen and have done the research. With all the specifications essentially the same between brands, does it make a big difference if I bought the cheaper one, for example $38 vs. $16 for 256 MB 144-PIN SODIMM PC133?

imac g4 15 inch flat panel, imac intel, Mac OS X (10.6.5), mac os 10.4

Posted on Jan 7, 2011 4:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2011 6:07 PM

Welcome to the Apple Discussions.

The main consideration is where the memory is coming from. Users on here think highly of Crucial, Other World Computing (OWC) and Newegg, to name three. There are various prices depending on the name on the memory. Samsung seems to be the most common OEM memory from Apple, and the more expensive. Crucial has very good branded memory. Some from OWC with their lowest price people question but the middle of the road OWC memory is very good. All give very good customer support and lifetime warranties so you can't go far wrong with them.

Hope this helps your decision making.

Ralph
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2011 6:07 PM in response to fosterm

Welcome to the Apple Discussions.

The main consideration is where the memory is coming from. Users on here think highly of Crucial, Other World Computing (OWC) and Newegg, to name three. There are various prices depending on the name on the memory. Samsung seems to be the most common OEM memory from Apple, and the more expensive. Crucial has very good branded memory. Some from OWC with their lowest price people question but the middle of the road OWC memory is very good. All give very good customer support and lifetime warranties so you can't go far wrong with them.

Hope this helps your decision making.

Ralph

Jan 8, 2011 9:22 AM in response to fosterm

I only buy Mac RAM from two online vendors. Too many brick-n-mortar electronics or office superstores simply don't know Macs enough to sell you the proper RAM, especially for older models. I've asked about Mac RAM in some very well-known retail establishments and was looked at like I was talking about a burger.

One trusted vendor is Other World Computing, whom Ralph has already linked. The other is Data Memory Systems ( http://www.datamemorysystems.com/G4iMacMemory.asp). I've gone with either site's least expensive RAM for about a decade and it's all still in service; and we have 15 Macs in the family!

Crucial's RAM is always high-quality, but I hesitate to recommend them to owners of older Macs because of how their RAM finder is programmed. Many older Macs, with modest RAM limits when shipped, can now take advantage on newer, larger models that are still compatible. The faster iMac G4s are among them. The orig spec sheets, not updated since the model was develope, show 1G RAM as the max, but those using PC2100 or PC2700 RAM can today hold and use up to 2GB RAM with complete stability.

Crucial will not show these new developments, preferring to use Apple's badly outdated spec sheets. The other two vendors always show when an increase is possible and test to make sure it works.

I don't think Crucial is bad, just very focused on the larger peecee market. OWC is primarily selling to the Mac users, and people I've talked with at DMS certainly seem to know their Macs. too.

Whatever direction you take, be sure to look up the exact specs for your model iMac ("About this Mac..." --> "more Info...) so you get the proper RAM. The iMAc G4s used three differtent RAM types over their production life.

Price difference of RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.