Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 6 and Camera Compatibility

I recently upgraded my OS to 10.5.8 from 10.4... I know very late. I had no intention until the upgrade to my iPhone 3GS required it. Regardless, I am running IPhoto 6.0.6 and it has worked fine. I own a Canon T1i EOS Rebel digital camera. Up until the conversion to Leopard, I would plug the camera into the port and iPhoto would open up and transfer the pics without an issue. Today, I tried to upload pictures, the USB cord was secure on both sides and nothing happened. I turned the camera on and off twice to see if by starting it up connected would change things, nothing did. I ensured that the battery is charged in the camera and that the sleep setting was not tampered with thus not allowing it to transfer.

I am suspicious about the upgrade to Leopard causing this incompatibility issue with my camera. When I did a search on the apple website, the page about iPhoto 6 and camera compatibility is a dead link. So a couple of questions if someone would be kind enough to help me out with:

1) Is the import of pictures not occuring because of an incompatibility issue between my camera and iPhoto 6 suddenly? Or is incompatibility between 10.5.8 and iPhoto 6?

2) What is the best solution? Upgrade to iLife '11? Or will that require upgrading to Snow Leopard as well? Or is it better to buy the $129 bundle of Snow Leopard, iLife and iWork for compatibility issues?

3) Lastly, is there a webpage on apple that shows these compatibility issues? For instance, if I upgrade one thing in the future, all the other software suites that need updating as well?

Thanks in advance to whomever can help me.

Cheers,
-Tod

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Jan 7, 2011 9:34 PM

3 replies

Jan 8, 2011 12:39 AM in response to kingcomedic

1) Is the import of pictures not occuring because of an incompatibility issue between my camera and iPhoto 6 suddenly? Or is incompatibility between 10.5.8 and iPhoto 6?

Neither. The usual cause for this issue can be a damaged plist file, a setting on the camera or Mac or minor directory damage on the card.

Plist file: Can you access the card with Image Capture (in your Applications Folder)? If so, you might try trash the iPhoto plist file, if not try trash the Image Capture plist file as well.

Settings: What's set to happen when you connect the camera? With iPhoto 6 that's in the Image Capture. Your camera has two modes for talking to the Mac: Mass Storage and PTP. What one are you set to? Try the other one.

Directory Damage: Have you tried using a USB Card Reader? Can the Mac see the card in that?

Regards

TD

Jan 8, 2011 4:11 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks TD...

I was not able to access the camera via Image Capture. I checked the preferences menu on Image Capture and when a camera is detected, it is to open iPhoto. I tried changing between Mass Storage & PTP without any change in the issue.

I accessed the plist file (after some searching and trashed it) Still no change.

I pulled the memory card and it downloaded fine onto a friends computer. Likewise, I plugged my camera into my old iBook lap top (iPhoto 6 as well, but running OSX 10.4.8) and it opened and allowed me to download photos no problem.

So I'm left with a functioning camera... seemingly functioning OSX, but not recognizing the camera.

If you have any other ideas, I am all ears!

iPhoto 6 and Camera Compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.