Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen in iTunes

Hi. When I click on a movie in iTunes on my Mac, a window opens to play the movie. I can hear the audio, but I cannot see the video - the screen is black. I think this has something do to with Airplay, and maybe that iTunes is trying to stream the video to Apple TV or another device. How do I tell iTunes to display the video on my Mac? Exactly where is the setting located? Thx

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 1:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2011 3:26 PM

I am having the exact same issue.

The problem occoured 3 days ago. I have just recently converted alot of movies to Itunes, I cant view any of them.

Though VLC can play them. I thought it was just my new conversions that were bad, but all my old movies doesn't work either. They used to work a few days ago. In fact, I just watched Inglorious Basterds.
20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2011 3:26 PM in response to pomme4moi

I am having the exact same issue.

The problem occoured 3 days ago. I have just recently converted alot of movies to Itunes, I cant view any of them.

Though VLC can play them. I thought it was just my new conversions that were bad, but all my old movies doesn't work either. They used to work a few days ago. In fact, I just watched Inglorious Basterds.

Jan 11, 2011 4:08 AM in response to pomme4moi

I don't have an answer to this yet, but I have found the following: When I click on a movie to watch it, a new window opens to display the movie. I can hear the audio but cannot see the vidoe - the display is black. If I close the window (not close iTunes), then click a second time on the same movie, the window re-opens and now I can see the video and hear the audio.

This "open it twice" method seems to work, but I'm not sure why opening it twice is required. Still looking for the answer ...

Jan 20, 2011 1:23 AM in response to TyLaw

It seems the common denominator here is Apple TV. I installed one at the weekend at my home. I tried to watch a pre-downloaded movie on my Macbook last night from my hotel room and I could only hear the movie soundtrack, no video, just a black screen. Hmmm, not impressed.

I'll hook up my Macbook to the Apple TV again at the weekend and see whether the problem is resolved but it seems there may be a problem with my Apple TV set up. Not sure what else to do other than speak to Apple which doesn't entirely fill me with hope.

John

Black screen in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.