Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Virus

Not sure if this is the right place for this question but as a new user I am unsure where to post it.

Anyway to the problem! I bought my wife an iPad for Xmas and she has been using it pretty much everyday since with no problems. However last week she suddenly started getting blank pages when accessing an app through the internet! This has now spread from the particular app and is now affecting Safari. From a bit of research it appears that this is the "Aboutblank!" virus. There is a lot of discussion on the net about this but not much on how to get rid of it.

My macbook which I used to get the iPad running is fine and the iPad was great until she uploaded this app.

Question is: Is this the first instance of a virus on the iPad? How the heck do we get rid of it? Went to my local Apple store and they were no help at all! Is it a virus at all? I thought all apps would be screened to prevent virus infection?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Macbook:ipad

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 6:13 AM

27 replies

Jan 8, 2011 6:20 AM in response to Bassdave

Hi there..

Welcome to the Apple Discussion Boards.

I'd suggest connecting the iPad to your computer and doing a system restore. Before doing so make sure that iTunes back's-up the iPad which it should do automatically when you connect it. You can check by looking in the status bar at the top of iTunes.

You can also check by following:

iTunes > preferences > devices and you should see your wifes iPad there with the date/time of the most recent back-up.

I'd aslo suggest removing the problem app from the device and also from the App folder in iTunes.

Then do a restore from the iPad Home screen in iTunes. Once the iPad has been restored to factory defaults you will be prompted with the choice to set the iPad up as a new device or restore from an earlier backup. I'd choose the latter and then select your wifes iPad from the backup list. Again - this is why I'd make sure and delete the problem app before hand. iTunes will now restore the iPad to it's former self using the back up.

Try this and see if that solves the problem. I must say I have had no problems at all with my iPad. Absolutely love it!

BTW Which app was it?

Best of Luck with it...please post back if this is unsuccessful.

Ricky

Jan 8, 2011 7:00 AM in response to Bassdave

My understanding is that there are no viruses for the iPad. The iPad does not run on a conventional operating system like OSX or Windows so would not be susceptible to a virus for this reason. At least that is what I have read right here on these discussion boards.

Do as Ricky Gray suggests and by all means remove the app that is causing the problem.

Jan 8, 2011 7:07 AM in response to RickyGray

I read this thread as well. What a bizarre scenario. However, an app that causes the iPad to do crazy things and a virus are two different animals. A virus could shut your whole operating system down or at least throw it into turmoil. If deleting a nasty app does the trick and the iPad continues to operate OK, I'm not so sure I would call that a virus. A nuisance for sure, but not a virus.

Jan 8, 2011 7:29 AM in response to Bassdave

There is no ipad virus. There is no way a virus can load onto the ipad. What app did she load onto the iPad?

You might be having a DNS server problem. Go to your settings... Click on WiFi... Click on your WiFi network, circle with blue arrow... Scroll down to DNS and replace the numbers with these 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220 (with comma)... Reset your iPad.

The above DNS number are for OpenDNS server.

What is DNS?

Domain Name System (DNS) is a database system that translates a computer's fully qualified domain name into an IP address.

Networked computers use IP addresses to locate and connect to each other, but IP addresses can be difficult for people to remember. For example, on the web, it's much easier to remember the domain name www.amazon.com than it is to remember its corresponding IP address (207.171.166.48). DNS allows you to connect to another networked computer or remote service by using its user-friendly domain name rather than its numerical IP address. Conversely, Reverse DNS (rDNS) translates an IP address into a domain name.

Taken from and for more info about DNS:
http://www.kb.iu.edu/data/adns.html

To add..... Problems with a DNS sever, the server will display blank web pages.

Message was edited by: David M Brewer

Jan 8, 2011 10:04 AM in response to Bassdave

All
Thanks for your help so far, it has been an education to me. I must admit I was a bit suspicious about it being a virus at first though my wife convinced me!! She is at her Mother's this weekend and so I am unable to check it myself. I will do so on her return on Monday. It seems when the blank pages appear there is "aboutblank" appearing in the display somewhere which lead her down the virus path once she had looked it up on the internet!
BTW the app was AllSaints - the clothes line from Spittalfields, London. Not one I have on my iPad so unlikely I will get it! I will remove the app and carry out a restore and let you all know how we get on.
Thanks again
Dave

iPad Virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.