I use Hotmail, but I have a Gmail account. So I made a new YouTube account that references my Gmail. I tried to use that login information on the ATV, but still no luck. It still says that my information is incorrect.
I have tried to search, but nothing ever shows up. Just the spinning circle. Same if I click on "Top" or "Featured" videos.
Basically, my ATV is working great! But the YouTube function is completely shut down. Can't search. Can't login. Can't anything.
I was having the same problem of not being able to log into YouTube via AppleTV. After a bunch of fruitless attempts at resolving it based on previously suggested fixes, I started trying some basic things (this is where being an ex-software QA person comes in handy).
I discovered that password length has some bearing on the YouTube login failure. My old password was 15 characters long and a mix of alphanumeric and other characters. When I changed to a shorter password (8 characters, still a mix of alphanumeric and other characters) I was able to log into YouTube. (Note: I have a YouTube account that is likned to my Google accounts)
This is definitely an Apple TV-specific issue, since I was able to log into YouTube via my Sony Bravia TV and Sony Blu-ray player using the old password without any issues whatsoever.
I haven't experimented with it to find the max. length of a password. Also, my new password does not contain certain non-alphanum characters (+ sign, semi-colon) that my old one did. It's possible those could have an impact as well.
And FWIW, to force me to have to use a less secure password is some pretty lousy engineering on the part of Apple if you ask me.
Yes, factor restored twice - same result.
I also am able to access my YouTube account through my Samsung BluRay Player without issue.
My YouTube password is currently 7 letters and 1 number. So nothing too fancy there. I did however try to change it to just an 8 letter word - same result.
Appreciate the feedback guys...
I had the same problem... I changed my YouTube password to something without numbers and symbols and it started working.
I just submitted the below to the Apple bug department.
I do not think the Apple TV can recognize some symbols in YouTube passwords. (And maybe other account passwords?)
Today I bought an Apple TV. I set it up fine and linked my Apple ID, Netflix, home computers, iPad, etc. Everything worked. Then I tried to link my YouTube account...
I kept getting an error on Apple TV saying my YouTube login was incorrect. I tried the password multiple times but kept getting the error. I was able to login to my YouTube account with my PC, iMac, and iPad, but for some reason Apple TV was not working. My spouse verified that I was typing the password correctly.
My password was something like this: High&goodbye5757
(That is not the real password but follows the correct format.)
I called Apple Support and then had me restore the Apple TV. That did not fix the problem.
Then I changed my YouTube password to "aaabbbcccddd" and suddenly it worked. (Then I changed it to something more secure - but not using any symbols - and that worked too.)
I think the problem is that Apple TV cannot send symbols like "&" to YouTube (and other accounts?). That seems to be the reason it was not working because when I did not use "&" in my password, it worked fine.
Perhaps you can check your code to ensure Apple TV is correctly transmitting the "&" symbol.
I have the same problem and was able to found the way to login.
Make sure you have a username created in your Youtube account. Follow the following steps to check:
- Go to www.youtube.com. Log in with your gmail email account.
- Look at the Top Right corner which your gmail email account should be display such as email@example.com. If you see something like abc or xxx from firstname.lastname@example.org. That is your username that you should use to login to your Youtube in Iphone.
- If you see email@example.com which is your gmail, click on the up arrow on the right side of your gmail and "My Account" will display.
- Click on Channel. You will be asked to create your channel. Now, you will be asked to create a "Username". Create this by keying your preferred Username, Date of Birth and Gender. Check on the agreement to Youtube term and conditions if you agree. If you don't agree, the Username will not be created. After you agree, click on the "Submit" button.
- Your "Username" is created now. Remember this "Username".
- Logout from the Youtube account.
- Login again with this Username and the "Password" is what you have used to login with your xxx@gmail.
- Now, you should see your Username on the Top right corner instead of firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This is the "Username" that you are going to use to login to your Iphone/Ipad Youtube application.
- Password is the same that you have use to login to your email@example.com
The "Username" in Iphone/Ipad cannot be used with firstname.lastname@example.org. You need to create a username as following the step above. This works for me when I tried two of my Youtube account. Try yours and let me know whether it works.
Thanks and hope this helps.
I can't log into Youtube from Apple TV.
I've simplified my password to eight alphabetic characters (i.e. made it less secure).
I can log in to Youtube on both my Mac and my iPhone using either my [email email@example.com] or [username]; neither works on Apple TV.
I'd appreciate any suggestions.