2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2011 7:50 AM by Paul J
Rich Rydalch Level 2 Level 2 (290 points)
Is it possible to have the same wireless keyboard work on 2 different Macs?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)
  • 1. Re: Wireless keyboard on 2 Macs
    dwb Level 7 Level 7 (20,210 points)
    Yes and no. A BlueTooth keyboard (or mouse) can be paired with only one device at a time. So you can pair it to Mac#1 and if you put it to sleep and then wake it up or turn it off and back on, Mac#1 knows it is paired to the keyboard. When you pair the keyboard to Mac#2 it no longer 'belongs' to Mac#1 and you'll have to go through the pairing process again to use it with Mac#1.

That's annoying enough that I wound up buying a second mouse so I'd have one for my desktop and another for my notebook.
  • 2. Re: Wireless keyboard on 2 Macs
    Paul J Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    I have the same situation: one aluminum bluetooth keyboard and 2 macs. I first had the keyboard paired to mac#1, but now I want it exclusively paired with mac#2. I removed the keyboard from mac#1, but cannot get it paired to mac#2. mac#2 finds the keyboard but fails in pairing with it. Here's the message I get:

~~~~
    Attempting to pair with "Home's keyboard"

Your device may ask you to enter a passkey. Check your device to see if it is ready to accept a passkey. When your device is ready, enter in the following passkey: XXXX XXXX
    Once you have entered the passkey on your device the pairing process will be completed.

The pairing attempt was unsuccessful. If you would like to try a different passcode or pairing method, click "Passcode Options..." button. Click to try again.
    ~~~

So, I go to Passcode Options, and the selection is on Automatically generate passcode. I've tried the other options (Use an "empty" passcode; Use a specific passcode; Do not use a passcode with this device), all resulting in a failed pairing attempt.

Any ideas?