Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difficulty connecting to WiFi Hotspots

32GB WiFi only iPad. Connects to my Airport, several open and secured WiFi hotspots, but does not connect to Comcast's Xfinity hotspot reliably. Xfinity require a password, but I never get to a screen that allows me to enter my account data. I also could not connect to the AT&T WiFi Hotspot at Barnes & Noble today with my iPad. When I go to network settings, I tapped on AT&T. A blank screen came up which was blank. That was the screen where you are supposed to acknowledge the user agreement.

It's a little frustrating since it works most of the time. I reset my network settings and was still unable to connect. Again, my MacBook connected just fine, as did my android phone and my daughter's iPod Touch. Anyone else having issues like this?

iMac, Macbook x2, iPad, 2 Ipod Touches, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jan 8, 2011 2:39 PM

8 replies

Jan 9, 2011 8:24 AM in response to Lance Berger

I had a similar problem at a fast food cafe.

Didn't get to the bottom of that issue as I'd only just got my iPad.

Since then I do find that on open hot-spots that require an initial login via a web page, the web page sometimes does not get put up automatically and I have to go into Safari and try to access another web page. That then opens the login page and after that everything is OK.

Also check to make sure that the setting to automatically as to join WiFi networks is ON, otherwise you have to manually join any network.

Jan 9, 2011 10:41 AM in response to Lance Berger

+Is it true then that the iPad is not compatible with these wifi hotspots?+

Not necessarily the iPad that is not compatible, but may be the hotspot router that is not fully compatible.

A lot depends on adherence to the IEEE 802.11 standards. The n-amendment to the standard was just adopted in September 2009. A number of routers were on the market for several years before that using drafts of the standard. During that time, computer manufacturers had to make their wireless adapters "sloppy" so they would connect with the various interpretations of the drafts. Today, Apple is applying the standard very precisely in the iDevices, makes it easier for the iOS authors since it is more compact and efficient to pare down to exactly match the standard.

That is a big part of asking have you updated your router firmware - does it match the IEEE standard is the real question, but we really cannot ask it that way?

So the real question becomes are all of these routers you are trying to connect with meeting the standard, rather than is the iPad not compatible.

Hope that helps explain things a little.

Ralph

Mar 2, 2011 2:36 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

I'm also having a very similar problem, I can connect to starbucks wifi, and even panera breads wifi. I can also connect to my home router whether it has a password on it or not. I notice the problem when attempting to connect to optimum wifi or my campus wifi. Both networks require an account name and a password and when I click to join a network the check mark appears but does not ask for any information. I then try to access safari and search google and it says "safari isn't connected to the internet".

May 4, 2011 8:36 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

Similar problem, however only a recent occurrence, several spots that I have not had difficulty signing into their wifi previously, I now have the issues listed in this thread.

Only real explanation I can imagine is the update version for the ITouch must be creating a conflict. I am currently using 4.2.1 but I believe the previous version is when the issues began. Is that possible???

Thanks,

E

Jul 20, 2011 10:29 AM in response to Julian Knight

I have the same problem intermittently at B&N. I think the issue is with how the informtion is propogated to the IPAD. On my laptop, I boot up, immediatly open internet explorer and get the Barnes and Nobel home page, select the link that says connect to the internet, check off the free connection in the AT&T box and then hit connect

With the iPad, even if the network is remembered, it tries to open the page where you connect but the page is blank and never gets filled in. To circumvent, I've gotten it to work a few different ways. Turn off WiFi and then back on, then select ATT. Then go to safari and type in barnes and noble.com. Then select connect to the internet from the top left. The second page where you have to select the free connection takes some time to load...upwards of maybe 2 min.

Sometimes I have to stop and restart that page and then I'm connected. There's not an always sure solution to the problem and you have to play around a little, but it does work...and OH when it does!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

Difficulty connecting to WiFi Hotspots

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.