Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I have two private mail accounts under one Mac account?

Hi. My wife and I share one MacBook Pro. We have one user account set up on the MacBook Pro (i.e., when we turn the computer on, we both use the same sign-on ID and password). We do not want to set up separate accounts.

With this set-up, can we each have our own Mail account? We want to be able to use Mail to access our respective gmail accounts, each of which has its own separate password. We do not want to consolidate both gmail accounts into a single Mail account. Is this possible? Thank you

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jan 9, 2011 1:51 AM

3 replies

Jan 14, 2011 10:05 AM in response to pomme4moi

Hello.

I don't have the answer, but have a similar problem. I have created 2 accounts, one each for me and hubby. The main inbox shows all our emails together, ie, it is not private. And our own separate accounts, whilst the incoming emails are in the separate inbox, I, and therefore, he, can enter and read everything. I don't want this. I want to be able to buy presents for him without him knowing. As far as I know, I only set up an account for him and one for me, but as stated, 3 exist. Any ideas?

Jan 14, 2011 10:05 AM in response to pomme4moi

This is not possible if you wish to prevent each other from seeing the other's email? If you set both email account up in Mail, they will have separate Inboxes (seen by clicking on the small black triangle to expand to show each one), and if you enter the Gmail SMTP twice, taking care each time to give it a different name, and use each account respective email address to Authenticate it, then they will coexist nicely, but not with complete privacy.

Complete privacy is only available with separate User Accounts. In one User Account the underlying files could be read even if two Mail folders were allowed.

Ernie

Can I have two private mail accounts under one Mac account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.