Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Certain folders greyed out in finder

I looks like this: http://s3.imgimg.de/uploads/grey8aded0d0png.png

These folders are stored on a Windows machine and mounted via smb. I can access them perfectly on the windows machine, accessing them via Terminal works fine, too. Only in Finder these to folders and the one file are greyed out. I can't access them via "open pathtothatfolder" or via Cmd ShiftG either.

Any ideas?

Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 9, 2011 6:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2011 3:59 AM

I have the same problem with folders on a linkstation, and can't open them at all or delete them.

I was copying the folders from my Macbook to the LinkStation and it got interrupted, i couldn't resume it and have since copied the complete folder again but can't get rid of these greyed out folders!

So would love to know if you get any solutions!
32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2011 3:59 AM in response to Rudolph70

I have the same problem with folders on a linkstation, and can't open them at all or delete them.

I was copying the folders from my Macbook to the LinkStation and it got interrupted, i couldn't resume it and have since copied the complete folder again but can't get rid of these greyed out folders!

So would love to know if you get any solutions!

Feb 26, 2011 8:42 AM in response to Rudolph70

I have had this issue too when you mount a HD to a PC then a Mac the HD file system, is in Windows MSDOS not the MAC journaled format. The grayed out files are something that windows uses but MACs don't. You may not be able to delete them because they were created on the PC. Terminal accesses them, I'm guessing, because terminal is a workaround to the Mac OS.

May 17, 2011 3:39 PM in response to Rudolph70

I have the same problem in a DFS volume (network files connected over SMB) and then replicated to another server. It seems that this occurs randomly. Windows machines can interact with the files fine, but on the OSX machines that i have tried, they all say something like "the operation can't be completed because the item "item name" is in use.".

After a few days, the error will go away and osx users will be able to acces the files.

These are random files or folders. Well random in that i havent found a correlation. Also the folders are all full control for the group that the osx user is in and i have also taken ownership by that user.

i am just looking around everywhere for solutions that have to do with grayed or ghosted out network files and happened upon this. I guess there is no solution here.

Jul 28, 2011 12:53 PM in response to Rudolph70

I'm late to answer but I had a similar issue with my folders and I spoke to a colleague and he suggested I look at the Date Created heading in Windows Explorer (Choose Details View and add the colums by right clicking on any of the Headings). Check to see if there are any dates that are in the future, this wil be why the Finder isn't registering what it sees. Correct this on the Folders and files and the grey should go away once you refresh the window.

You can use any Batch Renaming utility that looks at the Attributes of Directories and files. The util I used is BulkFileChanger by NirSoft. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bulk_file_changer.html

Try it and let me know what you think.

Nov 21, 2011 8:53 PM in response to mattluurocks

I had this problem, but it wasn't the creation date. It was on a windows server which I didn't have admin access to. To fix it I created a new directory in my original folder (the new directory is called "fixed" in the example below) and used the command-line "cat" utility to copy the data out of each file into a new one with the same name, in the new directory.

Here's the command:

cd /the/path/to/your/problem/files

mkdir fixed

for i in *.* ; do

cat "$i" > "fixed/$i"

done

Sep 12, 2013 1:48 AM in response to Rudolph70

I had this problem- I had a greyed out folder that I couldn't access by double clicking. From the get info window I could see that the creation date on it was 1984, so presumably this was why.

I got round it by opening the folder with "Go To Folder" command from the finder. Once I was in there I was able to copy the contents into a fresh folder.

Oct 21, 2013 11:25 AM in response to Rudolph70

I had the same problem with files on my NAS - Synology Diskstation. However, part of the problem in my case seemed to stem from how I connected to the Diskstation. In the first instance where I noticed the problem initially, I was connected to my Diskstation via "afp". In that case, the files were greyed out and could not be accessed. When I connected to the same folder on the Diskstation from another computer, which connected by "smb" there were no issues at all. I tried to recreate the "smb" connection on the first computer, and voila - no greyed out files. I don't know if this helps others, but it gave me a sigh of relief.

Certain folders greyed out in finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.