Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there something wrong with my network or is this an Airport bug?

Here's my set-up:

Airport Extreme N Dual-Band connected to modem, and in turn connected to a desktop PC. (I know, save it)

Also connected to said Airport Extreme is a USB Printer and nothing else.

Said Airport is configured as "802.11n only (5GHz) - 802.11 b/g", using Wide channels, low multicast, and a different SSID for the 5GHz network.

Then, I got ANOTHER Airport Extreme (5GHz N-capable, non dual-band), wirelessly connected to the first and configured as "Extend a wireless network", configured for the 5GHz n-only SSID from the other Airport.

So far, everything should be good, no?

Now, my iphone (3gs so no 802.11n) is connected just fine to the 802.11b/g network, and my bro's macbook pro is connected wirelessly to the main router.

Here's where it gets weird:

If I go into "Logs and statistics -> Wireless Clients" for each of the airport extremes:

On the main router, I can see the second router connected as 802.11n (5GHz), the iphone via 802.11b/g and my bro's macbook pro connected the same way.

On the secondary airport, I see the primary Airport's 5GHz MAC adress as connected via "Wireless", and then my macbook, for some reason, connected via "802.11a/n"

Of course, I'm not getting the full 802.11 datarates and I'm honestly at a loss as to what is happening here.

Is my setup wrong somewhere, or is this just a bug in the Airport Extreme?

Macbook 2.0GHz, 2gb ram, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Later 2006 Model

Posted on Jan 9, 2011 9:53 AM

2 replies

Jan 12, 2011 1:31 PM in response to Lord Kamina

It would seem this is most definitely a bug of some kind:

I was connected to the 5ghz SSID (and istumbler says it was 5ghz N), even though I was apparently connected via 802.11a/n

I was copying some files from the computer hooked via ethernet to my primary router at a whooping 2MB/s, I decided to just unplug the secondary router (which is right next to my mac) and the speed immediately went up to 8-9MB/s

Is there something wrong with my network or is this an Airport bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.