Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get rid of Duplicate Faces

Hello,

When syncing the iphone w/ the latest version of itunes, under the photos window, in the list of "faces" there are many duplicates. How can I get rid of them? I've confirmed in iPhoto that there are no duplicates, but in iTunes and on the phone there are many.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
BZ

2010 MacPro, iOS 4

Posted on Jan 9, 2011 1:02 PM

8 replies

Mar 17, 2011 11:55 AM in response to akmac75

Here's a work around that worked for me.

Unplug your iphone if it's connected.

In Aperture/iPhoto, use the Faces view to display the photos of someone with duplicate names in iTunes. For example, go to Faces and double-click "Jane Doe" assuming Jane Doe shows up several times in the iTunes faces list. For the sake of an example, let's just say she shows up three times.

Now, open up one of the photos in which Jane is tagged, delete her name, then start retyping it. In the auto-complete drop-down that appears as you type, you should see Jane's name show up three times. Pick the first occurrence to tag Jane.

Open up another photo and repeat the sequence this time picking the second occurrence of "Jane Doe".

Repeat with another photo for the third.

Now go back to the Faces view. You should see three different faces for "Jane Doe" (be sure to sort by name). Drag two of the Faces onto the third to merge the group.

Now plug in your iPhone/iPad, and got to the list of Faces available for syncing. There should only be one Jane Doe.

Mar 19, 2011 11:09 AM in response to Lex Luethor

This manual merging of Faces worked great. I had the same duplicate Faces issues when viewing them within iTunes. iPhoto must leave some garbage in its metadata and cleans it up on display. While iTunes just displays the garbage. The real fix should be for iPhoto not to leave duplicate Faces around.

Thanks Lex as this was bothering me for a while...

Jan 18, 2012 11:52 PM in response to nyseans

So I had exactly this issue, in Aperture I had a single face that showed up as two in the iTunes sync panel. I carried out Lex's suggestion above which worked a treat (there were two versions of the name in the auto-complete dropdown though they looked identical to me)

EXCEPT:

In iTunes I now have a single representation of the face as opposed to 2 in BUT the number of photos indicated in iTunes is about double that I actually have / show against that face in Aperture. So somewhere in the faces DB there is still that duplicate name or other corruption that is somehow showing photos tagged with it also..

How can I remover that face completely from the Aperture DB - I don't mind going through and reidentifying relevant [photos, there aren't too many? I have already tried all of the Aperture first aid options to no avail.

thanks

How to get rid of Duplicate Faces

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.