Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay on Airport Express "full wireless"

Hi,

I don't really know wether I should post this message in the iPad section or in the "Airport Express" section... Anyway.

Here is my problem :

I would like to stream music from my iPad to my living room soundsystem, so I bought an Airport Express. BUT my router is upstairs, and I can't set up a permanent Ethernet connection between my router & Airport Express.

So my question is : Is it possible to set up the Airport Express as a "distinct network" (not connected to the internet) and Have the iPad connect on Both networks ?
- my usual LAN to surf the net & everything else
- The airport Network to stream music to the soundsystem

If my setup is wrong, i'm obviously open to any advice... Just keep in mind that I can't have a wired connexion between the Airport Express & the Router...

Many thanks in advance for your answers.

iPad 16 Go Wi-Fi, iOS 4

Posted on Jan 10, 2011 9:13 AM

6 replies

Jan 10, 2011 9:35 AM in response to Rudegar

I can't connect to the router because the soundsystem (attached to the airplay) and the router (providing wi-fi all around) are in 2 separate rooms --> impossible to have a permanent wired connection (I currently have an Ethernet cable doing the job, but it can't be a permanent solution, as it runs down the stairs and crosses the room... ;))

And it seems that if I want my airport Express to join that "main network", I have to connect it via Ethernet... I tried to set it up to wirelessly join my network (using the cable for the setup), but it didn't work. Setup asked me for a 13 - no more, no less - characters password and password verification, so I entered a new password of 13 characters and re-typed it. The Airport Express then rebooted and disappeared from the Airport Utility on my computer. I had to Reset it using a paperclip. And setup never asked the WEP key to enter my LAN, so I guess it's just impossible to have a connection...

Is it supposed to be possible to join an existing network wirelessly ?

Jan 10, 2011 9:45 AM in response to stan106

I believe what you want to do is to use the Airport Express to extend your wireless network. This should help, I think:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2044

Your main router has to support WDS to be extended by an AE. If your main router is another Airport Express or is an Airport Extreme, WDS is supported. If you're using a third-party router, you'll need to check your documentation.

Regards.

Jan 10, 2011 12:25 PM in response to varjak paw

Actually, what I want to do is quite simple... I want my iPad to stream music to the Airport Express... So I would like it to join my current network, so my iPad can find it and use airplay. That's all.

But it seems that, just in order to connect to the network, the AE needs to use WDS... and as my router doesnt support WDS, I think it's impossible...

Jan 10, 2011 1:52 PM in response to stan106

Before to close this topic and mark it as solved, I will explain the whole process, so if you find this, you can try it directly... French version hereunder.

Hardware setup :

* Bbox2 Modem router provided by my ISP
* PC with latest version of Airport Utility
* Airport Express connected to amplifier (Jack - Double RCA) and to the router through Ethernet (the whole purpose of this is to remove this Ethernet cable).

Before you begin :

Open your router configuration utility (typically 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 in your browser). Change your network password (by default, mine was the 26 characters WEP key - 13 letters and 13 numbers). Choose a 13 characters password. I chose one with 7 letters followed by 6 numbers. Waring : This operation might (should ?) crash your current internet connexion and you may experience problems reconnectiong. Under Win 7, Go to the properties --> security of your network to type your new password & connect again.

Once this is done :

1. Open the Airport Utility on your computer
2. Do a "hard reset" of the Airport Express" (AE) using a pen or a paperclip --> the AE disappears from the Airport utility, then shows up again.
3. Select "replace the settings with default settings" to clean up the mess your previous attempts might have caused
4. You're back to the default configuration
5. On the Airport utility window you see now, invent a new password for the AE & clic continue
6. Select "I want AE to join my current network" (3rd option), clic on "Continue".
7. Select "I want AE to wirelessly join my current network" (1st Option), clic on continue
8. Select your network in the drop down menu and select "WEP 128 bits" as encryption mode (Your network obviously has to use WEP encryption. If it's not the case, go back to your router management utility and set the security to WEP or write another tutorial 😉
9. Clic on "Update"
10. Watch your LAN crash
11. Say "What the F**" and unplug the Ethernet cable from the AE. Your LAN should get better very quickly.
12. Accidentally unplug the AE from the wall. Plug it again quickly with 2 or 3 "Sh** !"
You're done !

French version :

Préalable :

Configuration hardware :

* Modem router Bbox2 fourni par mon FAI (Belgacom)
* PC avec la dernière version de Airport Utility
* Airport Express connecté à un ampli (Jack - Double cinch) et au routeur via un câble Ethernet (le but de la manoeuvre est de virer ledit câble Ethernet)

Ouvrir l'utilitaire de configuration de votre routeur (192.198.1.1 dans le navigateur par exemple) et changer là le mot de passe du réseau (anciennement chez moi : la clé WEP de 26 caractères) en choisissant un mot de passe d'exactement 13 caractères (chiffres et lettres mêlées ont fonctionné pour moi). Attention, cette opération peut avoir des retombées un peu bizarres sur votre connexion... Deux redémarrages de Bbox et pas mal d'essais de reconnexion m'ont été nécessaires.

Une fois cela fait :

1. Ouvrez l'Airport utility
2. Opérez un Hard reset de l'airport avec un trombone --> l'AE disparait de l'utility, puis réapparaît
3. Sélectionner "Replace the settings with default settings" histoire de virer tout merdier d'essais précédents.
4. Vous êtes de retour à la configuration "de base"
5. Sur l'écran qui s'affiche alors, inventez un nouveau mot de passe pour l'AE puis Cliquez sur "continuer"
6. Sélectionnez "I want Export Express to Join my current network (3ième option)" puis cliquez sur "continuer"
7. Choisissez "I want AE to wirelessly Join my current network (1ière option)" puis cliquez sur "continuer"
8. Sélectionnez votre réseau dans la liste déroulante et sélectionnez "WEP" comme mode de cryptage (il faut évidemment que votre réseau soit crypté en WEP. Si ce n'est pas le cas, passez en WEP ou faites un nouveau tuto...
9. Cliquez sur "Update"
10. Regardez votre réseau local se planter en beauté...
11. Débranchez le câble de l'AE. Le réseau local devrait se sentir beaucoup mieux
12. Retirez accidentellement l'AE de la prise. Rebranchez-le vite fait avec 2-3 "Mert".

You're done !

Jan 10, 2011 1:53 PM in response to stan106

Before to close this topic and mark it as solved, I will explain the whole process, so if you find this, you can try it directly... French version hereunder.

Hardware setup :

* Bbox2 Modem router provided by my ISP
* PC with latest version of Airport Utility
* Airport Express connected to amplifier (Jack - Double RCA) and to the router through Ethernet (the whole purpose of this is to remove this Ethernet cable).

Before you begin :

Open your router configuration utility (typically 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 in your browser). Change your network password (by default, mine was the 26 characters WEP key - 13 letters and 13 numbers). Choose a 13 characters password. I chose one with 7 letters followed by 6 numbers. Waring : This operation might (should ?) crash your current internet connexion and you may experience problems reconnectiong. Under Win 7, Go to the properties --> security of your network to type your new password & connect again.

Once this is done :

1. Open the Airport Utility on your computer
2. Do a "hard reset" of the Airport Express" (AE) using a pen or a paperclip --> the AE disappears from the Airport utility, then shows up again.
3. Select "replace the settings with default settings" to clean up the mess your previous attempts might have caused
4. You're back to the default configuration
5. On the Airport utility window you see now, invent a new password for the AE & clic continue
6. Select "I want AE to join my current network" (3rd option), clic on "Continue".
7. Select "I want AE to wirelessly join my current network" (1st Option), clic on continue
8. Select your network in the drop down menu and select "WEP 128 bits" as encryption mode (Your network obviously has to use WEP encryption. If it's not the case, go back to your router management utility and set the security to WEP or write another tutorial 😉
9. Clic on "Update"
10. Watch your LAN crash
11. Say "What the F**" and unplug the Ethernet cable from the AE. Your LAN should get better very quickly.
12. Accidentally unplug the AE from the wall. Plug it again quickly with 2 or 3 "Sh** !"
You're done !

French version :

Préalable :

Configuration hardware :

* Modem router Bbox2 fourni par mon FAI (Belgacom)
* PC avec la dernière version de Airport Utility
* Airport Express connecté à un ampli (Jack - Double cinch) et au routeur via un câble Ethernet (le but de la manoeuvre est de virer ledit câble Ethernet)

Ouvrir l'utilitaire de configuration de votre routeur (192.198.1.1 dans le navigateur par exemple) et changer là le mot de passe du réseau (anciennement chez moi : la clé WEP de 26 caractères) en choisissant un mot de passe d'exactement 13 caractères (chiffres et lettres mêlées ont fonctionné pour moi). Attention, cette opération peut avoir des retombées un peu bizarres sur votre connexion... Deux redémarrages de Bbox et pas mal d'essais de reconnexion m'ont été nécessaires.

Une fois cela fait :

1. Ouvrez l'Airport utility
2. Opérez un Hard reset de l'airport avec un trombone --> l'AE disparait de l'utility, puis réapparaît
3. Sélectionner "Replace the settings with default settings" histoire de virer tout merdier d'essais précédents.
4. Vous êtes de retour à la configuration "de base"
5. Sur l'écran qui s'affiche alors, inventez un nouveau mot de passe pour l'AE puis Cliquez sur "continuer"
6. Sélectionnez "I want Export Express to Join my current network (3ième option)" puis cliquez sur "continuer"
7. Choisissez "I want AE to wirelessly Join my current network (1ière option)" puis cliquez sur "continuer"
8. Sélectionnez votre réseau dans la liste déroulante et sélectionnez "WEP" comme mode de cryptage (il faut évidemment que votre réseau soit crypté en WEP. Si ce n'est pas le cas, passez en WEP ou faites un nouveau tuto...
9. Cliquez sur "Update"
10. Regardez votre réseau local se planter en beauté...
11. Débranchez le câble de l'AE. Le réseau local devrait se sentir beaucoup mieux
12. Retirez accidentellement l'AE de la prise. Rebranchez-le vite fait avec 2-3 "Mert".

You're done !

Airplay on Airport Express "full wireless"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.