Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unwanted Momentary Appearance of Default Screen

I have a single administrator account and several user accounts. I have custom .jpg files for the backgrounds of each of the accounts. I also have the login screen with a custom .jpg file. Occasionally when I change accounts there is a momentary appearance of the OS X default screen. My assumption is that I could replace the file that contains that default screen with the file I use for the login screen. So my question is where would that file be?

MacBook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.6.6), 1.67 GHZ -- 17" -- 2 GB RAM

Posted on Jan 10, 2011 8:10 PM

4 replies

Jan 11, 2011 7:34 AM in response to Király

Király wrote:

When this has happened to me, deleting com.apple.Desktop.plist from my ~home/Library/Preferences folder has stopped it.

Unfortunately deleting the suggested file replaces my custom desktop with the default Aurora desktop. What I want to do is whatever is necessary so that only my custom desktop appears and that the Aurora never appears.

Jan 12, 2011 10:31 AM in response to Király

Király wrote:
After deleting the .plist file, return to System Preferences and reset that account's Desktop picture to the one you want. It should then display correctly at login without momentarily flashing any other picture. It worked for me anyway.

As suggested I deleted the desktop.plist file for each of my administrator and several user accounts, a process which took several restarts as for reasons unbeknownst in some of the accounts I couldn't delete the desktop.plist until after one or more restarts. I finally reached the point where the background screen for each of the accounts was the Aurora. I then for each account used the Desktop & Screensaver option in System Preferences to set the background to the preferred one. After doing that I restarted and opened the accounts one at a time. This time the preferred background appeared instead of Aurora. However when I went through and opened each account the second time, this time when all accounts were active, the Aurora sometimes appeared.

So there must be a location where the Aurora is saved and I would assume if I knew where I could replace the Aurora with a background of my own choosing.

Unwanted Momentary Appearance of Default Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.