Skip navigation

App Store hangs on install attempt

8007 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2011 1:06 PM by gustavo2000 RSS
Montag451 Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 10, 2011 9:56 PM
Whenever I click an "install" or "buy" button in the App Store, the App hangs forever and fails to respond to any input, forcing a Force Quit. I've tried repairing permissions, rebooting, zapping the PRAM, and installing the 10.6.6 combo update on top of the existing update.

This problem surfaced as soon as I updated to 10.6.6. I initially rebooted a couple times, left the problem alone, and it went away unexpectedly. Now it seems to be back... only this time, it's apparently personal.

I've also had problems attempting to load Final Cut Studio 2 apps, which hang on startup and fail to launch any windows. I mention it here because I ran across a poster suffering through issues with his pro apps who was also experienced the App Store hanging on purchases. That can be found here: http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=12907935#12907935

I don't know if those two are connected, but I've tried virtually everything (permissions, PRAM, trashing preferences) barring reinstalling the OS back to 10.6.5 to completely remove the App Store. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Message was edited by: Montag451
15" Unibody Macbook Pro (Late 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.6)
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (84,140 points)
    Jan 10, 2011 10:25 PM (in response to Montag451)
    Hi,

It could be the startup disk. Follow the instructions here to verify and if necessary, repair the disk.

Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks

Carolyn
    27" iMac 3.2GHz i3 MBAir iPad iPhone 3GS 4.2 iLife iWork / AirPlay / ATV2, Mac OS X (10.6.6), QTPro Intuos Epson Olympus Airport JBL
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (84,140 points)
    Jan 10, 2011 11:36 PM (in response to Montag451)
    Ok.. that's good.

Try resetting your Apple ID password here.

https://iforgot.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/DSiForgot.woa/wa

Restart your Mac.

See if that makes a difference.
    27" iMac 3.2GHz i3 MBAir iPad iPhone 3GS 4.2 iLife iWork / AirPlay / ATV2, Mac OS X (10.6.6), QTPro Intuos Epson Olympus Airport JBL
  • csmoke Calculating status...
    Jan 13, 2011 12:16 PM (in response to Montag451)
    Thanks for the information about the BOOTCAMP partition. I kept getting hangs on buying an app until I ejected the BOOTCAMP partition and now it works fine.
    iMac i7, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
  • Douglas Holschuh Calculating status...
    Jan 17, 2011 2:39 PM (in response to Montag451)
    This was driving me NUTS! Thanks for the advice on unmounting the boot camp partition. That did it! Thanks again.
    Mac OS X (10.5.7)
  • imode Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Mar 11, 2011 11:28 PM (in response to Douglas Holschuh)
    A more permanent solution is to exclude your bootcamp partition from spotlight search. Go to System Preferences -> Spotlight -> Privacy Tab and add your bootcamp partition
    iMac 27" 2.93GHz i7, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
  • imode Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Mar 23, 2011 8:10 PM (in response to imode)
    I believe this issue is fixed in the 10.6.7 release. From the 10.6.7 release notes:

*Resolves an issue in which clicking the Updates tab in the Mac App Store could cause the Mac App Store to become unresponsive*.
    iMac 27" 2.93GHz i7, Mac OS X (10.6.7), IPhone 2, iPad, MacBook pro
  • G-Rex Calculating status...
    Apr 14, 2011 9:29 AM (in response to imode)
    The 10.6.7 update did NOT fix the Mac App Store hang on purchase...at least for me it didn't. And I make sure I download and install the Combo update every time.
    MacBook Pro 15" Core i5 2.4 GHz, 500GB HDD; iBook G4 12", 1.2GHz, 1.25GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 2 white 32GB wifi
  • djurobski Calculating status...
    Apr 28, 2011 1:36 PM (in response to G-Rex)

What worked for me: i used Spotless to disable Spotlight. After re-enabling Spotlight the App Store now works like a charm!

Hope this helps!

• CorsaGT Calculating status...
    Jul 20, 2011 4:18 PM (in response to djurobski)

I also had Spotlight disable through Spotless, and re-enabling fixed the problem for me. Thanks for the post!

• gustavo2000 Calculating status...
    Jul 26, 2011 1:06 PM (in response to Montag451)

For me, on a 10.6.8 MBP, it looked like it hanged, just spinning that circle, but under "Store", "Check for Unfinished Downloads...", and then I got a screen with a progress bar showing that the download actually was happeneing.

This was after clicking "Buy App" for OS X Lion.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.