6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2011 2:31 PM by jbs12345
jbs12345 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
I am trying to transfer a project created in iMovie to iDVD for burning to disc. I go to share/iDVD and get the preparing project window and progress bar. It chugs away for about an hour then I get "Unable to prepare project for publishing because error occurred (-2125)".

Does anyone know what this means and what I should do about it?

iMovie '09 version 8.0.6 (821)
iDVD version 8.0.6 (1116)

mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.5), iMovie '09 version 8.0.6 (821)
  • AppleMan1958 Level 7 Level 7 (27,385 points)
    Try Share/to Media Browser. Then drag into iDVD from the Media Browser in iDVD.
  • jbs12345 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I tried that but it didn't work either. The key to this must be understanding what that error code means.

Any idea how I find out what the error code means?
    I have never seen an official list, but I think it means you are out of memory, which could happen with a long video. How long is your video?
    Its 2.5 hours and I have only 11MB available on my hard disc.
    Yes. That is the problem.
    iMovie is meant for home video, and your video is longer than 90% of the feature films out there.
    For feature length films, I would recommend a pro video editing app like Final Cut Pro or Final Cut Express. These apps can "render as you go". You can render a sequence or a nest of sequences so you don't have to do it all at once. iMovie renders everything in one pass when you use the Share menu.

11MB is not enough space on your disk. You need more space to allow room for OSX to manage virtual memory. You don't mention which Mac you have, but I would consider moving some files to an external drive to free up space on your internal drive. I would want 30 to 40GB free when I was starting a big render like yours. It is possible that if you had more space, your project would render, but iMovie is really not the right tool for a movie this long.

(Note: if you are moving iMovie files to an external drive, be sure to read up on how to do this within iMovie so you do not mess up your projects.
    Thank you very much, this does sound very promising. I will do as you suggest.