Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

exporting files -- mono possible?

Hello,

I'm working on a CD project in a studio that uses Protools. I've recorded vocal tracks at home using Garageband, which can't export tracks in mono. I'm considering upgrading to Logic Express, but need to find out if it allows for exporting in mono. Anyone?

Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 11, 2011 10:10 AM

7 replies

Jan 13, 2011 12:02 PM in response to Foxboy71

Thanks for the response. The problem I'm having with GB is that it converts mono files to stereo. Why it does that I don't know, and I'd like to know if Logic Express will do the same thing.

And, I can and do convert the files back to mono using Pro Tools, however; they stereo files are not of equal size -- that is to say, one's level will inevitably be larger than the other. I fear I'm deleting something necessary when splitting, then dumping one half of the file.

Thanks again.

Jan 14, 2011 1:41 AM in response to Mud Whistle

Hi,

Garageband doesn't convert mono files to stereo. It only bounces the project in stereo.
You can always tap into a Garageband file (one named .band) and right click to select "show contents". Now you have access to the media folder within your Garageband project and can extract the mono AIFF files of the single tracks yourself. However, this only works if you have recorded them in mono, which you can select in the instrument inspector.

Additional solution: You can export your whole project in mono if you decide to use a mp3 bounce. If you use the highest possible quality setting no one will really notice the difference (at least that's i would bet).

Fox

Jan 14, 2011 1:47 PM in response to Mud Whistle

Hi,

you'll find the .AIFF files if you CTRL-click (or right click) onto the .band file where you have recorded them to. Then a contextual menu pops up from where you select "show contents" of this package. Think of the .band file as a special type of folder or package which only opens up if you tell the finder to show contents. Now, inside this "folder", there's a subfolder called "media", where the files should be. They will be named somehow after the track names. Can be tricky if you didn't care about these names. You can simply copy these files over to where you want to.

Fox

exporting files -- mono possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.