Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble With Voice Memos

I have a number of voice memos on my iPhone (3GS). I can sync them to itunes without issue, they are present both under my artists and as the "Voice Memos" playlist.

From what I understand, Voice Memos should sync from the Voice Memo App to iTunes, and then back into the iPod on the phone.

No memos will sync back to my iPhone. They do not appear in my iPhone's iPod playlist section, nor do the corrected titles for the memos transfer back into the voice memo section. Additionally, when my phone is plugged in to my computer, two "Voice Memos" playlists are visible on it from my iTunes library, but neither are available from the phone itself.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Do I need a reset? Or am I far off base?

iPhone 3GS, iOS 4

Posted on Jan 12, 2011 8:44 AM

8 replies

Jan 29, 2011 2:59 PM in response to Barry Porter1

I'm having this same problem.

iPhone 3GS, 4.2.1, Win 7

I have lots of important voice memos on my iPhone that are viewable through the Voice Memos app, but when i plug it into my computer, I can only see some voice memos from september 2010. I am looking in the correct place: iPhone -> Voice Memos section. When I attempt to sync my phone with my computer (it's been previously set to "manually manage..."), it says that all content from my iPhone will be deleted and restored from my iTunes playlist. This is the exact opposite of what I want. I want to restore my iTunes voice memos with the memos from my iPhone.

Can anyone please help? I have noticed that the majority of these discussions are just left unsolved...

Thanks.

Jan 12, 2012 10:30 AM in response to Grady Stebbins

I've been struggling with the same issue. Previously, voice memos would sync from my iPod Touch to iTunes, then back to the iPod Touch in a predictable way. That is, there would be a "Voice Memos" folder on the iPod Touch that would exactly mirror the contents in iTunes. So the Voice Memo app would serve as a kind of temporary holding area for incoming voice memos, which would then be properly filed with iTunes upon sync.

But lately, voice memos in iTunes', as you observed, don't seem to make that round trip.

My theory is that with iOS5, Apple decided that voice memos, when on your iPhone or iPod Touch, should only exist in the Voice Memos app, which is why they steadfastly refuse to transfer back to iOS device. This is massively inconvenient for me, because I like to use iTunes to organize my voice memos, then be able to hear them back on my iPod Touch.

One (incredibly inconvenient) workaround is to copy the Voice Memos to the finder, delete them from iTunes, then bring them back into iTunes. This seems to sever the association with the Voice Memos app and let them be treated like any other audiofile. But needless to say, this isn't a great solution.

Feb 10, 2012 8:22 PM in response to MichaelGShapiro

Tonight I started googling/searching for the same issue. One thing I tried that worked was to right click on the files in iTunes that would sync and select "Create MP3 version". Effectively it created a duplicate of the file but in anothe file format. I moved the MP3 version to the playlist that syncs to my iphone and VOILA! It worked. I moved memos from my iphone to my ipod touch.

Trouble With Voice Memos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.