Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMTP Outgoing Mail Server does not use password so I can not send mail..

Hi All

Can anyone help me with this?

My POP email accounts on Hosting.365.ie do not use a password to authenticate outgoing mail. They rely on a prior authenticated download to enable the outgoing mail server.

On my MacBook Pro there is an option in the SMTP server settings under authentication for "none' and all my accounts work perfectly on the MacBook.

However my iPhone4 (brand new) and iPad (both up to date) there is no option under the SMTP server settings for "none". I think this is the root of the problem. Has anyone else come across this or is there a workaround?

Many thanks if anyone has any insights.

Peter

MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo/2Gb, Mac OS X (10.4.8), iPhone4 32Gb, iPad WiFi 32Gb

Posted on Jan 12, 2011 10:46 AM

9 replies

Jan 12, 2011 3:52 PM in response to Asatoran

Thanks Asatoran

However, would this not lose the "from" of the account I am replying from?

These email addresses are business related and I want my recipients to be getting a reply to the email they sent, not a new email from my gmail or other mail provider, or have I got this wrong?

This kind of thing didn't happen with my Blackberry, that I just disabled yeaterday not knowing this was about to happen. I love the iPhone but did not expect it not to be able to do a simple thing that my OSX based MacBook can do. Why is it not supported the same way - is there some other reason?

Many thanks for your reply.

Peter

Jan 12, 2011 4:12 PM in response to fpw

Set Gmail to forward all mail to your normal account. So while the person might reply to the wrong address, it will get forwarded to you.

Most email progams will use the "reply to" address, but some "badly written" programs will just reply to the "sent from" address. And worse, some lazy users...er...inattentive users... 😉 don't check where they're replying to and will just add whatever email address to their addressbook. (I get CCd mail from one of the department managers every time she intends to CC the lawyer. 😟 ) So setting forwarding in Gmail will not only compensate for the badly written program, it will also compensate for those inattentive users as well. 🙂

"Properly written" programs should show the correct address, and not the gmail address that the message was sent through. But your mail provider has an unusual config as most providers just use password authentication. Or if there is no password, then it's "network authentication" meaning you're on their network when you send the message. (e.g.: RoadRunner, AT&T Mobility.) Really, if your provider just used password authentication like the rest of the industry, this would be a non-issue.

Jan 12, 2011 4:53 PM in response to Asatoran

Hi Asatoran

Again, thanks for interest in my plight and replies 🙂

Your suggestion would work OK(ish) except for the fact that I live two lives - one as a scientist using my Gmail account and the other using my company mail server..

I like to keep the two distinctly separate 😉

Some of my customers are very (how can I put this politely) 'particular' about conversation threads etc so this workaround would break that 😟

All this ignores the fact that this works perfectly on my OSX machine but not on my two iOS machines which I expected it would. What I don't understand is why this option was left out of the iOS Mail application.

I guess the solution might be in the hands of my ISP, although I am not confident of this..

Again thanks for your interest.

Peter

P.S. Note my updated Apple gear list - a bit more attention to detail!

Jan 12, 2011 5:52 PM in response to fpw

Yeah, I don't know why the difference. Interestingly for me, the iOS version in iOS4.2 is "better" than the OSX version of Mail because now I can have more than one Exchange account.

I am sympathetic with your need to separate your lives. I have a client that accidentally got one of my alternate email addresses and cannot/will not update his address book with the "correct" address, despite my requesting several times over the course of a year. In any case, I don't think there is any way around this other than completely changing your email address. (If not a second Gmail, then Yahoo, Hotmail or other email provider.)

The only time I've ever seen a "no password" SMTP server was as I previously said, it used a "network authentication" method. Many, many moons ago, SMTP servers often didn't have password authentication so would often be used for spam relaying. Before mobile users, "network authentication" by ISPs was fine since they could figure out which user was spamming since they could trace the IP addr, MAC addr, etc back through the physical link to the user. But with mobile users who change networks constantly, the general trend was to password authentication, even for wired ISPs since their users would want to have access to send mail while away from home. (e.g.: you're a RoadRunner customer, but want to send mail while using your laptop on vacation in Italy.) This "prior authenticated download" I've never heard of anyone else doing.

Jan 12, 2011 6:15 PM in response to fpw

Some of my customers are very (how can I put this politely) 'particular' about conversation threads etc so this workaround would break that 😟

Additional info: this thread|http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2717730&tstart=0] on using the "From" field when sending an email may work for you. You'd have to consciously confirm which email address is in the "From" field each time you send, and thus easy to forget, so it still might be the real solution. But it may be worth investigating if you can't get anywhere with your ISP.

Jan 14, 2011 10:09 AM in response to Matt Broughton

Hi to everybody who replied!

After communicating with my ISP (prompted by your good selves) I have now fixed this by enabling the password authentication in the accounts on my MacBook and creating individual SMTP server definitions for each of them, and then syncing them with my iPad and iPhone.

All accounts now work properly on all three devices 🙂

Again thanks for taking the time to reply - I appreciate the effort..

Peter

SMTP Outgoing Mail Server does not use password so I can not send mail..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.