Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need Help: imported iPhoto pics missing

Hello, I have bought my copy of Aperture3 from the Mac App Store a couple of days ago and after updating to 3.1.1, I have imported my iPhoto library pictures deciding to leave them where they are ( thus creating a referenced library, I believe?)
There are 15.300 photos and 688 events in my iPhoto library.
When I click on Events in the Aperture library it states 1 selected - 16980 items displayed.
From what I've been reading, this difference could be caused by stacks, right?
I also have some events, and this is my main concern, where the pictures don't show up at all.
In one of them there should be 17 pictures, and they are visible in iPhoto, though only 8 versions and one picture show in Aperture. When I ctrl-click on one of the greyed-out versions and choose "show in Finder" it tells me: "The file DSC04006.JPG could not be found because the volume on which it resides is currently offline. Volume: Untitled 1"
I do not have a volume untitled 1. My HD is called MBP HD and that's where the iPhoto library is at.
If I try to locate the referenced files, in the pop-up window the status of Untitled 1 is Offline and I do not see an option to mount or reconnect.
I have followed all the tips and instructions in 'troubleshooting basics' ( http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3805), short of erasing the whole library and reinstalling Aperture3.
Something must have gone amiss with the import! I even tried re-importing the library, and ended up with all duplicates, even the missing pics are doubles now!
What to do? Start all over? Not a very good start for me & aperture... would rather be editing pics in this library...
Please help.
Thanks.

MacBookPro 15" i7 iMac G5 20" (Leopard) iMac G3 Flower Power (Tiger), Mac OS X (10.6.6), iPhone 3G white iOS4.2 and MobileMe

Posted on Jan 12, 2011 3:56 PM

12 replies

Jan 14, 2011 12:48 AM in response to TRATRA

I have trashed Aperture and related items such as plists.
I did some digging and found that the greyed-out pictures appear as alias in the Masters folder on my HD (iPhoto - show packaged contents)
Went back to the G5 where the iPhoto library originated and found the same number of aliases in iPhoto Originals folder.
So it seems the problem was there from the start, probably not related to Aperture, it was only brought to my attention by Aperture.
So now I'm wondering what would be the best way to go. I beleive those aliases should be originals in the location they're at.
Is this now an iPhoto issue? Should I "move" my post to that forum, and , more important, how to remove the aliases and keep the originals in the library?
I'm afraid that if I don't change them, if I start up Aperture and import the library, the same problem will reappear...

Jan 14, 2011 8:25 AM in response to TRATRA

Well, you need to find those originals. Where are the aliases pointing? If you click on an alias and then press the "i" key while holding down command, you'll get info on the file. Under original it gives you the path to follow to find the original. Once you find the originals you can just import them into iPhoto and then import the iPhoto library into Aperture again.

You wanted to keep the photos in the iPhoto library, correct?

Jan 14, 2011 12:40 PM in response to shuttersp33d

Hi mr. shutters, thanks for your response.
I have found the originals in iPhoto by doing exactly that. And then I trashed the aliases.
The originals are were they should be in iPhoto, and they show in iPhoto and on MobileMe as expected. So there was no need to import the pictures again.
After re-installing Aperture and re-importing the iPhoto library to Aperture, the issue persists.
Aperture keeps telling me: "The file xxx.jpg could not be found because the volume on which it resides is currently offline - Volume: Untitled 1"
There is no "Untitled 1" in my system or anywhere else on my network, I have no idea how this came about!
Trashing Aperture and reinstalling didn't change anything.
Yes I would like to keep my photos in the iPhoto library for now, as I was learning about Aperture's possibilities.
I am now thinking about taking my system back to before I first installed Aperture, (there is a TimeMachine on board) but that would also mean losing some other stuff Ihave been doing in other Applications.
Also, will the Mac App Store still know I bought the app if I take my system back in time?
Further ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Jan 14, 2011 2:28 PM in response to shuttersp33d

I can look at/edit the pictures in iPhoto.
I can look at the pictures in the Finder. (>iPhoto Library >Show package contents)
I can even see them on my MBP from the G5 (shared over wi-fi)
Volume: Untitled 1 is not likely to be my ol' G5, which, in fact has been named Mac G5 HD from day one.
The iPhoto library was already up and running on my new MBP, that's the one I imported to Aperture.
I only looked back on the G5 for reference after the issue came up.
shuttersp33d wrote:
Why not just export the files from iPhoto and then import them into Aperture?

Good question.
I wanted to start with Aperture without making too many changes at once. Hence the referenced library. It seems unlogical to me to import "missing" photos into Aperture and thus scrambling the consistecy of my photo library.
Also, I have found some photos not showing up, I don't know how many more or even which are "missing", since both apps have different item counts anyway.

Apr 17, 2011 1:12 AM in response to TRATRA

I had a similar problem. I found this in one of the discussions. The magic seems to be in the Option (Alt) button together with "Reconnect All"

So, it appears *the actual problem is that all of the images in my library have become offline*. I've since attempted to use File > Locate Referenced Files... to reconnect to the files on my hard disk. This proved quite difficult as the "Reconnect" and "Reconnect All" buttons were always greyed out, regardless of what was selected. However, by chance I discovered the magic combo of the Option button, which through various passes allowed me to reconnect to the images once again. Why is this so difficult?So, it appears *the actual problem is that all of the images in my library have become offline*. I've since attempted to use File > Locate Referenced Files... to reconnect to the files on my hard disk. This proved quite difficult as the "Reconnect" and "Reconnect All" buttons were always greyed out, regardless of what was selected. However, by chance I discovered the magic combo of the Option button, which through various passes allowed me to reconnect to the images once again. Why is this so difficult?

Need Help: imported iPhoto pics missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.