Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Remote and MacBook Air

I just discovered that my new (2010) MacBook Air has no infrared port and thus does not work with the Apple Remote.

I went back to check and I could find not one Apple document (no Help document, no KB article, no techspecs page) that specifically lists whether or not a particular Mac supports the Apple Remote. If I wanted to find out about a particular Mac, the best I could do was determine this by omission. If you go to the Apple Store online to buy the Mac and the Remote is not listed as an accessory, you can assume it doesn't work with the Remote.

It seems to me Apple can do better than this. Shouldn't they have some KB article that lists the Macs that do and do not work with the Apple Remote — or otherwise indicate this so you are less likely to be surprised after you make a purchase? Even the KB articles on how to pair the Apple Remote make no mention that this information is not applicable to all Macs.

Mac Pro (2009), Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 12, 2011 4:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2011 5:03 PM

Been there. Done that. As I said, I read the available documentation. I can confirm with virtual certainty that the Air does not support the Apple Remote. As you indicated, those options are missing from the Security panel. Of course, to check the panel, you would typically already own the Air.

At this point, I was simply complaining that Apple makes this information unusually and annoyingly hard to find out in advance of a purchase.
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2011 5:03 PM in response to mfiman

Been there. Done that. As I said, I read the available documentation. I can confirm with virtual certainty that the Air does not support the Apple Remote. As you indicated, those options are missing from the Security panel. Of course, to check the panel, you would typically already own the Air.

At this point, I was simply complaining that Apple makes this information unusually and annoyingly hard to find out in advance of a purchase.

Jan 23, 2011 6:24 PM in response to mfiman

I have just had the exact same experience as mfiman, I even own an Apple Remote and I started trying to pair it with no success. Really disappointing the lack of information about this. They have a page where they compare features across all MacBooks, one would expect this to be listed since it varies from model to model.

Jan 12, 2012 1:05 AM in response to mfiman

I just received the Mira presonal control for your apple remote ((http://twistedmelon.com/mira). It is an infrared receiver and it works perfect with Apple's infrared remote. I use it for keynote presentations with a lot of video in it. Now I can pause my video's, go to the next slide, adjust the volume etc. It works far better (and easier) than remote for keynote (no pause) or rowmote (including pause and play) on my iphone.

Jan 18, 2012 10:06 PM in response to mfiman

it is weird. the only support apple provides describes pairing a non-specific apple remote w a non-specific mac. very frustrating. the names of the things it says to click on isn't even consistent w the macbook air i bought not even a day ago.... this might be my first mac, but i still wasn't born yesterday. clearly it is not possible to pair our airs. ayooooo

Feb 7, 2012 2:33 PM in response to mfiman

If you check on the Apple Remote description at:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC377LL/A#overview

It is mentionned at the bottom that Apple Remote is:

Compatible with Apple products introduced in 2005 or later that have a built-in infrared (IR) receiver.

If you verify on the MacBook Air Tech specs page :

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

You will see that in the Connection and Expension section that IR receiver is not mentionned.

They should BlueTooth the AppleRemote!

Apr 1, 2012 2:57 PM in response to mfiman

Just made the same mistake bought a new Air, and remote....no one at the store told me remote would not work with Air.....and no documentation on the fact that Air does not support the remote........I have keynote remote on my phone but find the connection between the two very iffy with bluetooth.......thus the reason I bought the remote....

Apple support is generally pretty good but this is a huge oversight

Apple Remote and MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.