Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just spilled coffee on iphone

How long should i leave my phone turned off to let it dry?

i phone 4

Posted on Jan 13, 2011 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2011 10:39 AM

Wrap it in tissue paper, put it in a baggie with raw rice, and let it sit for 3 - 4 days. Do not try to turn it on, do not connect it to a power source.

Was there any sugar in the coffee?

Message was edited by: deggie
11 replies

Jan 13, 2011 10:43 AM in response to mellicita

You got a problem there...put the phone in a zip-lock bag with dry white rice. Leave it there for a few days. Do not attempt to turn your phone on. Coffee is very acidic and, unfortunately, there is no way to predict what damage has/will be done. Apple does however have an out of warranty replacement program, cost in the US is $199. Normally, I would completely disassemble and soak for a day in distilled water, then dry all of the components. However, this is not feasible for most users and on the iPhone 4, the glass & digitizer are glued together.

Message was edited by: wjosten

Jan 13, 2011 10:46 AM in response to mellicita

If you had sugar and milk in your coffee I wouldn't waste my time with the rice.

You need to either send your phone to a 3rd party repair site and have them open, clean, and dry it or, and this would be my choice, make a Genius Bar appointment, take it to the Apple Store and do what wjosten suggested, get an out-of-warranty replacement.

Jan 14, 2011 3:32 AM in response to cls24

I wouldnt bother with the rice 😟 just get it repaired i'd say, If you are on a plan with a carrier ex. Telstra, vodaphone etc you could possibly get the iPhone upgraded or replaced cheaper than Apple can do it for. You could also purchase Risk Insurance next time....they do cover for accidental phone damage as Apple doesn't, 😉

Just spilled coffee on iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.