Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I push email to an iPhone?

When I open Server Admin I have push notification checked and running. If I go to "Push notification" there is a message:-

"To configure a service to use push notification server, go to that service's settings"

However when I go to "Mail" I cannot see anything to set?

My iPhone is set to collect email from the xServer using pop3, is that the cause of the problem? If so how should I set the iPhone to receive the email so that it receives push email.

Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 13, 2011 11:01 AM

10 replies

Jan 13, 2011 11:46 AM in response to Paul Reading

[There is no push support for iOS devices available within Mac OS X Server (HT3947)|http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3947]; whether iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad.

What you see listed as push notifications is one of the other protocols used for push notifications, and not the particular flavor of push notifications required by iOS devices.

For details, see the [messageID=12052196|http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12052196 ] thread, as well as some of the other threads around the forums.

One of the available options for Mac OS X server that does offer push notifications that do work with iOS devices is the Microsoft ActiveSync support available within the (commercial) Kerio mail product.

Jan 13, 2011 12:06 PM in response to Paul Reading

I don't understand that as it says it does support it here:-

Summary
+The Push Notification service in Mac OS X Server v10.6 supports sending Push Notifications to Mac OS X v10.6 (client) iCal and Mail applications. Additionally, the service can be configured to provide Push Notifications to third-party applications which use the ServerNotification framework.+

+Products Affected+
+iPhone, iPad, Mac OS X Server 10.6, iPod touch+

If this doesn't push the email to Mail why then does it exist at all it makes no sense, why are all the settings there for Mail. I though that the point of upgrading to Snow Leopard was that I could get push email to my iPhone.

Jan 14, 2011 9:17 AM in response to Paul Reading

From the the cited article:

*Additional Information*
Currently, iOS Mail and Calendar apps do not support Push Notifications from Mac OS X Server v10.6.

The necessary push notifications are not presently supported by the Snow Leopard Server Mac OS X Server 10.6 product.

In particular, Snow Leopard Server does not support the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync push notifications expected by the iOS clients.

This means you can use an alternative path via the Kerio product, via Microsoft Exchange Server, via rolling your own out-of-band notifications for arriving mail, or analogous solutions. Or you use polling, and chew through some battery.

Mar 4, 2011 10:57 PM in response to mvandekorput

{quote:title=mvandekorput wrote:}
Are there any plans to fix this soon? Is it on the development roadmap? It is unbelievable that with everything being Apple (server and devices), I cannot do simple thing as push notifications.

{quote}

I find Apple's marketing on OS X Server's push capabilities deceptive.

Right under a picture of an iPhone:

{quote:title=Push email:}
"With Mac OS X Server, you can keep users up to date wherever they go with push email. Users can receive immediate notification of and access to new email messages when they arrive. It’s no longer necessary to constantly check for new mail messages."{quote}

That sounds an awful like mobile messaging for the iPhone/iPad.

I see why it isn't after reading the other articles, but I really, really find it deceptive. And why is it so easy for them to integrate Push technology for iPhone/iPad in Exchange and Google but not their own server.

Bizarre, and sad.

Mar 16, 2011 10:52 AM in response to digitaldays

Personally I find myself cheated since this is basically why I bought a mac mini and snow leopard server:
host my own web and mail server.
I am forced to continue use a exchange mail server for my mobile devices...
I understand Snow Leopard Server (SLS) is cheap and therefore I should not expect much but still I had the understanding it would be able to push mail and notification since I also read the text above.
It has become painfully clear that there are probably Microsoft fees involved to be able to give exchange functionality and Steve probably file this under "a bag of hurt"...??
I will not even bring up the SLS Webmail!

Mar 17, 2011 2:35 PM in response to Dirtylobster

yes for another 450$ and that is kind of steep for a nerd and his girlfriend...

So's a dedicated Mac box, when you get right down to it. A slice or a vhost or gmail is cheaper, and you don't have to deal with local connectivity and networking issues and UPS and related baggage, and you can do a push off of these or a gmail or such.

There are also ways to generate an SMS, for instance, for incoming mail messages, if you want to integrate your own notification code.

I've not understood the fascination with push notifications. (But then I date back to the era when gateways were gateways and mail could get delayed, and you needed to know bang-paths to decvax was in order to route your mail. Uphill. Both ways. In a bit-storm. Yeah, yeah, yeah, blasted kids, get off my hyper-lawn. 🙂 )

But seriously, mail isn't a reliable transport, and it's certainly subject to delays. Use the right tool for the job...

How do I push email to an iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.