Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blank CD's and DVD's not mounting - burnt disks do!

I am unable to burn CD'd and DVD's. I insert the disk, it goes in and remains in but then - Nothing. My prefs are set to Ask what to do, but none of the pref options have any impact. I can then eject the disk using the eject button. Disk Utility and System Profiler shows the Optical drive as

Media:
Type: CD-R
Blank: Yes
Erasable: No
Overwritable: Yes
Appendable: Yes
Write Speeds: 8x, 16x, 24x

If I have a CD-R in the disk- so the drive is clearly identifying a blank.

Inserting a DVD+R returns

Type: DVD+R
ID: RICOHJPN R02
Blank: Yes
Erasable: No
Overwritable: Yes
Appendable: Yes
Write Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x

The optical drive is recognising the disk.

But the burn function is not booting.

This is independent of brand of disk. It loaded and burnt disks successfully previously and seems to be related to an OS update. I do this so rarely that I cant really date the start.

I am able to insert and read any type of burnt or recorded disks, CD's, DVD's and mount them.

Have repaired permissions and trashed anything that looks like a CD pref. Have the same problem on my wife's side so it looks like it is not limited to my user account but is a a high level system issue.

iMac 3.06 GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Jan 14, 2011 12:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2011 7:48 AM

Have you tried inserting a different type of CD or DVD? Maybe these types are not recognizable by OS X...

Cheers!

Christopher
11 replies

Mar 15, 2011 7:20 AM in response to RichardFosse

I'm having a similar problem. I've inserted two different brands of CD roms into both my internal Supper Drive and my external LightScribe ATAPA DVD burner. Neither of them will mount a blank disc. They will mount a video DVD without issue. I have tried 10 different blank discs. While I can eject them from disc utility, it won't let me mount them.

The blank CD's work fine in my MB pro.

Mar 15, 2011 8:10 AM in response to Three Palms

A blank disk should never mount. By definition, it has no filesystem and nothing to mount.

A blank disk should be detected and perform the action that you set in System Preferences > CDs & DVDs. If these are set to Ignore (or if the system is treating them like it's set to ignore), then nothing at all should happen when you insert a blank CD or DVD.

I would suggestion going to System Preferences and altering the setting for both CD and DVD to anything other than the value they are set at now, then insert a blank disk and see what happens. Also, try to burn a disk using a burn folder.

Apr 15, 2011 7:38 PM in response to Three Palms

I have the identical problem. I burned a bunch of DVD's and CD's to backup data, then upgraded from 10.4 to 10.6 and the drive no longer allows me to burn to either DVD's or CD's. It won't mount them with a burn folder in Finder, it won't let me burn a disk image or a burn folder to them, I can't burn to them from iPhoto. I see the same information in disk utility as was posted by the initiator of the thread. This is clearly a software bug related to 10.6. I started at 10.6.2 and just upgrade to 10.6.7 and no help.

May 30, 2011 9:56 AM in response to Three Palms

I'm having this same problem, I insert a burnt CD or DVD and it mounts and reads it ok. I have 2 drives on my Mac Pro, and I'm getting the same problem on both drives. I have trashed the Finder Preferences and I have also created a new user and the problem persists. It simply won't mount blank media, no matter what brand or type, I have tried CD's, DVD's & DVD+R DL, no use it won't mount.

Blank CD's and DVD's not mounting - burnt disks do!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.