Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone won't charge or connect to computer

All of a sudden my iPhone refuses to charge from USB and a wall outlet. It also doesnt get detected at all in Windows or by iTunes. I've tried various methods about resetting holding power and home button but it still doesn't work. Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix it? Thanks

iPhone 4, Windows 7

Posted on Jan 14, 2011 3:09 AM

17 replies

Sep 19, 2017 2:23 PM in response to Beefc0ke

I've been raking my brain with this issue, that recently cropped up on my iPhone 6 Plus, short of changing the ic u2 chip in it, I was a bit stumped and a bit loathed to talk to a 'genius bar' tech/sales person, offering to sell me a new device.

I went through the first part of your procedure but with my dead (charged battery from a donor phone) phone plugged in, I was getting no joy, camera didn't activate a driver update, nothing, I then had a thought, with the dead phone plugged in, I decided to plug in my other (working) 6 plus, while in device manager, this activated the apple mobile device and portable device options, to appear and then the dead iPhone suddenly sprang into life, my conclusion is that the working 6 plus sent some sort of signal/activation, down the cable to the unresponsive phone.

Without your solution, I'd still be scratching my head.

thanks. Dave

Jan 14, 2011 5:30 AM in response to Frostyx

If you're using variant USB cables and wall chargers but not getting a charge whatsoever, there may be a problem with the iPhone itself. I'd visit a Carrier/Apple store and have the unit inspected for battery charging problems.

If you are using the same USB cable and unplugging it from PC and putting it on a wall charger, it may be the culprit and you can use any other USB to iPod cable to recharge the device. USB to iPod cables from today all the way back to the first or second iPod Nano models can work with syncing and charging.

Jan 14, 2011 5:44 AM in response to JoeZinVA

Yea I am using the same cable as I do not have another one in the house. I find it strange it would suddenly just stop working, I was charging it last night from the plug outlet, unplugged it and then ever since it wont connect to PC or charge by wall socket again, my battery is now on 40% if I dont fix it soon it will die D:

Jan 14, 2011 5:54 AM in response to Frostyx

It may very well have died from the consistent changing from low voltage to high voltage. Swapping back and forth on voltage currents (PC carries 4 volts, Wall carries 9 volts) can cause wear and tear which more than likely burnt it out.

I usually recommend having two or more cables available versus just one. Then one cable can be your wall charger and the other your computer charging cable. I carry around four charging cables myself since I travel alot. PC, work desk, car, travel battery pack.

Jan 14, 2011 6:44 AM in response to Frostyx

If you've purchased the iPhone within the alloted waranty time, you can visit Apple or the carrier store for a replacement cable if it came with the iPhone. If they can't replace the cable for free, they'll charge you a few pounds for it.

Some trusted third parties you can utilize would be called Griffin Technology or Belkin which usually come with wall chargers sold for the country. On average it's the same price as the Apple branded cable sold here in the US give or take a few extra dollars.

Jan 23, 2011 2:16 AM in response to Frostyx

Hi had the same problem with my iphone my problem was the usb driver for apple that was the cause.To be exact the inf file was the culprit .
1.Go to device manager ,under usb serial bus controllers ,apple mobile device driver should be seen,If not do this first connect iphone to computer switch to camera this should start installing driver for the camera of the iphone check the portable devices in Device Manager Apple Iphone should be seen then go down to the Universal Serial Bus Controllers now you should see the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver right click on and click on update driver browse on computer for driver software
Navigate to C:\Program Files\CommonFiles\Apple\MobileDeviceSupport\Drivers\usbaapl.inf.click on this file and you should now have this working.Talk about pulling out hair for this easy fix like others before me reninstalled all the software again again for ditto.I hope this works.Let me know cheers

iPhone won't charge or connect to computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.